Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
timing

Access NT4 box from Win98 box

Due to limited knowledge (newbie) I cannot access my NT4 files from my Win98 box, due to a 'Enter Network Password' prompt.

I have tried all my passwords and get a message 'The password is incorrect. Try again'.

I have a peer to peer network between a NT4 Sp6a box and a Win98 4.10.1998 box using a RJ-45 crossover cable and NetBEUI protocol.

When I originally connected the two boxes the network worked in both directions with no password prompts.

Since then I have done a full reinstall and setup on the NT4 box and now the NT4 box can access the Win98 box OK, but the Win98 box when selecting the NT4 box in Network Neighbourhood brings up an 'Enter Network Password' prompt which none of my passwords will satisfy.

I would appreciate any advice.

No I haven't tried adding the user name I use on Win98 because I don't logon at startup and have no users. It worked OK before with the Win98 box like this.

Your second suggestion I have seen before as a standard sort of way to network NT4 and Win98. Again I haven't tried it because it was working previously without doing that (having to logon and have users on the Win98 box).

Thanks for the tips and possibly that's what I will have to do, but as I said before when I originally configured and connected the two box's it did work without having users and logins on the Win98 box, which is my preferred option as I only use the peer to peer network for backing up both boxes.

I'm sure there is a way to do it without having to logon and have users on the Win98 box because it worked before.

It's since reinstalling and setting up the NT4 box that it now wants me to have a network password. So the answer I am searching for I believe is somewhere in the NT4 configuration as I don't think I have changed anything on the Win98 box.

I will look for the answer a little longer before trying your suggestions.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AlecStaar:

Have you tried adding the username you use on Win98, to the NT accounts listing in UserManager first of all?

That's usually the first thing to do... that, or you can make a profile in 98 with the Administrator name (or the one you use in NT) with same password & that MIGHT work!

Anyhow... the first thing should, been awhile since I used NT & 98 in conjunction but it should work!

APK

</font>

You could enable the guest account, just bear in mind that the security hole will be huge. If you have the NT box sitting on another network (cable/xDSL, LAN at school, etc) EVERYBODY will get access to your PC from the network without the need for authentication. If you are looking for convenience, then 5371's suggestion is the answer.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Enabling Guest Account did the trick and suits my purposes.

I take note of the security issue so I will enable it for backing up only then disable it when finished.

Thank you all