Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Durt

NAT and routing

I had NAT up and running. Then I decided to swap out the LAN NIC. Now it doesn't work and I can't access NAT through the "Routing and Remote Access" snapin. My local computer has now got a big ol' red X on it in the snapin. If I try and fire up ICS, it tells me I can't because I have NAT running. I can't shut it off because "Routing and Remote Access" won't let me.

What the heck is going on?

Frustratingly yours,

Try this (if you havnt already)

Make sure your new NIC has the same IP address of the old one. Sounds like your computer is trying to route between the old IP addresses and isn't finding one of them. If you do this... I would think NAT would be re-enabled... so then you could disable it.

If not, try installing the old NIC card.. disabling, then putting the new one in.

Hope this helps.

It is now several months after this post was originally posted...

I just wanted to tell ya Durt that I ran into the EXACT same problem. The suggestion I made above did not work for me, and so I eventually reinstalled.

Sorry if i threw you for a loop back then!!

Yep, I had to reinstall w2k also.

I guess the next time I will disable or uninstall routing and remote access before attempting this again. Dunno if that will work though.

I think it will. The problem was with NAT.. it remained installed and active for two NIC cards that were no longer there in the same fasion (probably MAC accociated..correct Alecstaar).

I would think if you first uninstall NAT the problem should not manifest itself again.