Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
superman322

DSL Internet is slow to connect

Hi this is my 1st post in this forum.

I switched to Win 2000 Pro a week or two ago. The transition went very smoothly even though i know nothing about Win 2000 brior to switching. Before I use Me and 98se...

My main and only problem beside my favorite games not working such as Need For Speed 5, is that my DSL connection to the internet is very slow!

-i need to use a dial up application to connect to the company. " called Acces manager". Its for Sympatico DSL

Typical Example:

-i start the access manager, it connects meaning the network cable disconecction icon disapears and is replaced by green little PC monitor icon.

-then i click IE 5.5 win 2000 version but I get web page not found errrors for every page. I need to wait between 1-5min during which my DSL modems lights (Line, Line TX, & Line RX) Flash, and only after they finished flashing I can connect to the internet. Then internet is perfect.

-but once i disconect the connection i have to repeat the procedure. THe wait is perticularly long after a boot up.

THis never hapened to me before win 2000.

THe company Symatico does not service win 2000 and i don't have any books, so this forum is my best hope.

I also tried Netscape 6, same result.

I have SP1.

Please give me the key points of things to know when installing DSL on a win 2000 system. I know Win me and Win 98se very well. But i have no idea at all about how these things work with Win 2000. Even those network cable disconnect icons are starnge to me.

PPPoE Srvice in control pannel, what the heck is that?

Also in the network folder i have "Local Area connection" and "Local area connection 3". Why do I have 2? Isn't that strange.

I think my network card is installed properly for control pannel says its working properly although i suspect that means nothing, even if it was proken it would probobly say that...

PLease help me understand Win 2000 internet.