Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cynan

ICS alternatives + Firewall.

Hi.

Does anyone know of any ICS alternatives that *fully* support ICQ and NetMeeting ?

The other thing to mention is a firewall. I was using ZoneAlarm Pro, but this is not fully compitable with dual systems, and doesn't seem to work fully with ICS and ICQ either.

Any suggestions ? someone suggested NetWatcher to me.

Thanks.

--Cynan.

[This message has been edited by Cynan (edited 11 January 2001).]

Aloha

The only proggie with full support for all features I know is WinRoute Pro from www.tinysoftware.com.

It supports Proxy, Mailserver, NAT, Portmapping and a lotta other things.

As Firewall I recommend Checkpoint, Atguard or Conseal.

Hi ! Yeah, looking at WinRoute Pro now, it says that it has a firewall built-in.. is that any good ? do you really need another on top of that ?

Thanks.

--Cynan.

The build-in-"firewall" in Winroute is a normal packetfilter. You must know all bad ports, trojans etc. to create rules in that filter.

A good firewall as @guard f.e. has a "interactive learning mode".

At the beginning all is blocked. When a new packet pass by the Firewall pops up and you have to manualy create rules in the Firewall (block or permit). This give you full control about all. Ports, ip´s, services....everything.

Some call it paranoia, I call it security...

------------------

CU

9inchNail

Right, I've been using WinRoute for a while now and I'm very impressed. The only problem I have is with NetMeeting.

The thing is, those dynamic UDP ports. Grrr. I have 2 client machines see, so I can't just tell WinRoute to map all the ports to the one NetMeeting sits on.

I've mapped all of the single TCP and UDP ports that it (NetMeeting) uses, but what can I do about the dynamic ones ? is there any particular band that NetMeeting tends to use ?

Thanks.

--Cynan.

O'kay, found something called PhonePatch that might do the trick, any thoughts?

--Cynan.

Wouldn't know about that. But is there a reg tweak that will allow you to statically assign the dynamic ports in Netmeeting? I know that you can do the same for Exchange with outside clients, so I figured there might be an option.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I have no idea. frown... gonna try that PhonePatch thing later anyway, if it works I'll be happy.

Thanks for your help though.

--Cynan.