Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vallines

Win2K RIS and DHCP

Greetings,

I am currently setting up a Win2000 server for use as a software distribution platform. (Through RIS-Remote Installation Services).

All of the client PCs on my network recieve their IP numbers from a centralized DHCP server.

Is it possible to have the clients recieve their IP numbers from this external source, and still connect to my Win2000 server for RIS services? If so, how?

Thank you for your time and patience.

Scott

I have been reading in my 1560 class manual, and it seems that while you need DHCP on the network, it can be on another server. However, it seems tightly integrated with AD (that's the only way it was presented to me anyway). Are you in an AD environment? You will have to authorize the server in the AD just like a DHCP server.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

AD is installed (It is required for RIS)

The DHCP servers are not Win2000 boxes, and are not part of the AD.

I am also having a problem with DNS. Our DNS servers do not support dynamic updates, and I cannot get Group Policies to run on the clients due to DNS issues.

Just another day in paradise hehehe

Thanks for the response.

Scott

While I think their therory is sound, I believe that in practice only Win2K boxes can support DHCP and DNS properly in an AD environment. I would imagine that this is due to the "authorization" measures that have to be taken for these services to run in AD. In addition, there are a few problems with DDNS if you have a single box running as an AD controller and hosting DNS/DHCP. DDNS wont log updates regardless of the client (Win2K clients only need forward lookup registration while non-Win2K clients can have both done by the DHCP box) and generates all the lovely errors. I will be setting up another Win2K AS box in my test environment and will be moving (or setting up redundancy) some of these services to that unit. In the lab, these worked well since it was based on Win2K AS boxes only, and there were 2 per child domain and one root controller. But in practice using a single box scenario, there's a lot of tweaking that has to go on. There is a fix out for the DDNS issue, but you have to call MS Support for it. It will be released in SP2.

------------------

Regards,

clutch