Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PinkPanther

Separate Network Settings on Laptop - Win2k

Hello All,

I need to know how to set my laptop to use two different sets of network settings based upon where I am. I have a network at home, and I use a network at the school where I work. Everytime I change locations, I have to change the workgroup name and the TCP/IP settings - this is getting a little old :-)

I have already tried setting separete hardware profiles, but this did not affect the network settings. I also tried creating a new network connetion, but Win2k will only let me create a dial-up type of connection, not another ethernet one.

Is there a way to accomplish what I want? Thank you all for your help.

Pink Panther

I use NetSwitcher to handle network settings for twelve locations on my notebook. It's here: http://www.netswitcher.com/

It's shareware (about $10). It's dead easy to use. Just set up a profile in W2K and tell NetSwitcher to save it. You can tell NetSwitcher to query you at shutdown time to see if you're going to a different locale. If you are, you just point to the right configuration, and the next time you boot the machine comes up prepared for that network.

Symantec has a package called Mobile Essentials that does the same thing in a fancier way for several times the price. I've never bothered with it, but I know some people who like it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jim