Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
INFERNO2000

NT 4 Server and Setting up a DHCP(and proxy if necessary) se

Searched the board for things, and couldn't find what I was looking for, so I'll ask. Sorry if it's a repost of anything----just give me links if necessary.

I got a "new" computer. P 133 24 MB RAM 630 mb hdd. ATI video card w/TV out.

SMC 10mbs Ethernet Adapter

??? 10/100 ethernet adapter.

don't have the 10/100 quite yet..but will soon.

I'm going to connect this PC to the cable service( ATT @HOME) with the SMC card, and use the 10/100 to connect to my PIII machine, which has a Switch card in it to act as a hub, and a K6-2 Machine. (I have a 16 port hub as well).

I want to set this up as a DHCP server, as I'm told it will assign IPs to computers. While this isn't important at home, I've been asked to set this up for DHCP at a LAN Party which will have anywhere from 20 to 100+ people...and here DHCP assigned IPs would be easier than self assigned.

I would like to know if setting this up as a DHCP server will

1: Be fairly easy

2: allow me to share the internet (I need my PIII system to access the internet)

Also, FakeMcCoy of the board has mentioned something about WINS--what is this all about, and how do I set it up?

These might seem fairly trivial, but I don't have much experience with the networking in NT4. Win2k I'm fine though....and not sure how similar these will be.

NT is a lot simpler to setup small networks with than Win2K. That being said, what OS are u using for the new box? Server or Workstation? If you just want to make the new box act as a router, you can do it through IP forwarding and setting up DHCP on the server. However, if you are using workstation, then just get something like Winroute, and that will do everything that you are looking for. It has its own built-in DHCP server, and can forward traffic back and forth across it. In addition, it will use NAT (Network Address Translation) to act as a firewall and filter out unwanted/unsolicited traffic.

WINS (Windows Internet Naming Service) is used as a namining service similar to DNS, but based off of NetBIOS info in the IP packets. It is used to speed up Network Neighborhood queries (you go to once source for naming information, and not just broadcast aimlessly until someone responds) and direct machine requests (i.e. \\pcname). It works quite well, though it has its limitations in larger networks where the database has to be replicated frequently to other servers. If you are using NT4 server, just email me and I can walk you through the setup of DHCP and WINS (and NT DNS if you so desire; it makes using your own web services from your LAN much nicer :)).

------------------

Regards,

clutch

The new box will run NT4 SERVER.

I've got DHCP up and running...haven't tested it though.

I got a new NIC that's both a 10/100 Ethernet, but also a 4 port N-Way Switch, so my 10s will now talk to the 100s properly.

DNS...not sure if I'll use it or not...

it can't hurt, after all.

I have the parts set up so all the PCs can see eachother....

so as a DHCP server for the LAN, it's fine.

what I need to find out now is how to set up Internet Connection Sharing for the PCs that are connected(which is important at home)

Other than calling up ATT@Home and begging for a static IP...what should I do?

if I understand your setup correctly, there's no need for a static ip. The gateway machine will have two ip's, one for the cable and one for the local network. As long as its local ip is constant, the other computers can just set it as their gateway. Then you will need some kind of routing/NAT software on the gateway, as clutch mentioned...

[This message has been edited by CUViper (edited 09 January 2001).]

I hope you're right CUV

I don't have a second card in there right now, as I don't have a spare 10/100 quite yet.

are you sure NT4 will support that?

It'd be great if so...

also can you recomend any software? WinProxy?

[This message has been edited by INFERNO2000 (edited 09 January 2001).]

INFERNO2000

use MS PROXY 2 when using the nt4. i used it and it works very fine. easy to config

Btw, folks, I sold INFERNO2000 that machine smile The case for that thing's as strudy as an engine block, even if it is 10 years old.

It was my understanding that if you install the dhcp service on an NT 4 Server machine, the machine can not use dhcp to get its own IP. So, if you have cable and 2 nics, you'd need to set your ip manually. Is this correct?

If you setup a DHCP server with 2 NICs, the only one that HAS to have a fixed IP is the one on the assigning network. For example, let's say you have 2 NICs, A and B. A is on the side connected to the LAN you want to service with DHCP and B is on the side connected to the Cable/DSL modem. A HAS to be static, but B does not. A has to be static because that is the segment that the DHCP service is supporting on the server.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

that's what I thought...but I thought that there had to be a binding program so that the Static NIC(A) would communicate through the Dynamic NIC(B)

The ethernet cards in there now are a Dlink 530TX+(the same as I have in my 98 machine)and a Netgear FA311...both 10/100 full duplex cards

Right now...I'm working on just setting this up as a DHCP server for the LAN party in 2 weeks...

I've installed basically every service, protocol, etc. that's on the CD except for Mac services.

I'm wanting to assign IPs to all the computers....but it's giving me problems.

I connected one of my computers through a hub to this, and it just sat there.

it saw the other computer...but the IPs were nothing like what I had set to assing.

I've got the assigned IPs going from

10.10.4.00 to 10.10.4.255

the IP the client listed was one of the 169.x.x.x, which signifies no IP

one of the Admins at the party has an NT4 networking for dummies book, but he lives an hour away..and I'm too lazy to drive...and too cheap to buy my own(especially when 2000 Server would be a more intelligent purchase).

Any help, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and Fake? I think this case will give that engine block a run for its money.

------------------

My PC is warm. I think our fire wall is acting up.

[This message has been edited by INFERNO2000 (edited 19 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by INFERNO2000 (edited 19 January 2001).]

Ok

I have my Dlink(the uplink, or B) set up to access the internet, properly done.--I got a static.

now, what do I need to set for my Netgear(the downlink, or A) so it will access the internet?

Dlink settings(these are changed to protect the innocent are:

IP Address 21.134.123.13

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Domain town.st.home.com

host c21181-C

Primary DNS 21.13.191.43

Secondary DNS 21.13.191.44

Domain S S O town.st.home.com

Gateway 21.134.123.1

What should my Netgear have so these two cards will work together so I can get the internet on my Clients?

[This message has been edited by INFERNO2000 (edited 20 January 2001).]

That would be the IP forwarding thing that I mentioned before. However, I would recommend that you use some sort of proxy rather than just using IP forwarding. This way, you have a basic "firewall" (usually NAT being called a firewall) and it will negotiate the connection between both NICs.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I have WinProxy somewhere...

I also have Sygate that I downloaded last night

which of these(or other software) should I use?

WinRoute or Winproxy should do fine.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

*grumble grumble grumble*

screw it. I've tried everything I know...I can't get these things to work properly...

my Trendware 4port Switch Ethernet card does it great...but I don't want that card in the NT4 box...

I'll go out and buy a router.

------------------

My PC is warm. I think our fire wall is acting up.

Smart man, they are too cheap to keep fiddling with PCs like that...

smile

------------------

Regards,

clutch