Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NEO^

Slower transfers in Win2k (broadband etc...)

Having a strange problem. A friend installed Win2k on his computer (specc at the end). With Win2k he gets slower downloads on his boradband then in 98 and MW. We even tried to hook my computer up on the broadband with the same results (My is runnin Win2k). How is this possible!?!?

Wer're talking about a 30k/sec loss in speed at downloading so it ain't a little loss were talkin about.

Any1 have any theory or anything that might help???

This is the comp:

You have received a message!

128 mb sdram pc133 memory

athlon 700

20 gb hdd udma 66

30 gb hdd udma 33

geforce 2 mx (ino3d tornado)

M7MKE mobo

Via built in Sound on mobo

Well, I cannot believe it. From the time I switched to 2000, i noticed considerable gain in every aspect especially internet...

Try installing SP1 and updates.

But it aint possible.

ARC

Well.. Runnin SP1 since the start. Still the same result... Could it be the ISP that has something faulty at their end...???

Hmm... COuld it be that ME and 2k are measuring the speed from two diffrent locations...? One from card to HD and one the incoming speed in the card...?

I wouldn't rely to heavily on anthing thats reported by the IE download box.

If you really want to measure bandwidth, the best way to do it is with a stopwatch. Use a FTP program (not IE/NS) and find a really well connected, lightly loaded server, with a large file (ftpN.netscape.com, where N is 1-9 works really well.)

Neither 2K or ME should have any problem keeping up with broadband throughput in the 128Kbps to 5Mbps range.

My old Magitronic non PNP ISA network card will only work like 14.4 modem speed in W2K connected to cable modem but fine under W98, both O/S detected it as a NE2000 compatible, but once I switched the Magitronic to an Aopen PNP ISA NIC, it works like a charm. May be drivers IMHO as W2K detected the Aopen as an Aopen ALN-101

contrary to what was posted here I've had these results.

I ran this test for six weeks before my conversion.

I set up a program to download a 100MB file on a friends FTP, ISP's FTP, a perma-file on the ISP's proxy, and a file on a web server inside the ISP's firewall run by a friend across town... every hour. it logged the results. when I went to win2K I ran the same tests and saw a low gain of 15% and a high gain of up to 60% in speeds.

the highest gain was directly from the ISP's FTP and proxy, next was the web server in the firewall, and finally the FTP across the pacific.

(BTW, I contacted my allies within the confines of the wall(ISP) and they garenteed there were no upgrades done to the backbones during my tests.)

I have noticed that for some wierd reason win2K likes the shipped drivers better, when I upgraded the drivers for both of my nic's performance dropped slightly....

my worthless .02 cents