Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Down8

BNC/AUI?

OK, I know what BNC is, but what is AUI?Everything I've found talks about BNC vs. UTP, not AUI.

The reason I ask is this: I am setting up a network between two computers [one Win2K, one Win95], and the hub I have is an old generic 8-port with a switch on the back that goes between BNC and AUI. I'm having a bit of trouble with my connection between the two [i usually use a router], and I'm not sure what this switch should be set to.

I was told this hub works, so I have ruled that out [hopefully].

Thanks for any help,

-bZj

The AUI (aka DIX, Digital, Intel, and Xerox) connector was the connector for what is called "thicknet". It's basically a shielded form of ethernet cable, and I have yet to see it used anywhere. I guess regular Cat5 is more economical. As for that switch in the back, it seems to have a special purpose. Some hubs "management" ports on them, which I belive would be used for monitoring really large networks. I never got the back port to work as a regular port for a host, so I'm guessing it's supposed to be that way.

No FakeMcCoy this stuff is older then hills

Ethernet (AUI) Port is (DB-15) mainlee use in very good old day (70thur80) in tell BNC come out & then RJ45 take over

Older hubs sometimes had one port which was AUI or AUI/BNC (selectable by a switch). This was because earlier ethernet 'backbones' were usually thick-or-thinnet and the port was used as an uplink.

If you are just using 10Base-T you should be able to ignore the switch and the AUI/BNC ports. It's also possible the switch turns one of the 10BT ports into an uplink.

I think that was the answer I was looking for. I think this hub is no longer working, though... my trials continue....

-bZj