Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
clutch

Why are you running Linux?

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

Well, I'm not sure if I'm elegable to post on this thread as I'm not actually running any variant of Linux...ATM. Have done briefly in the past in an experiment.

I'm sure a wanna-be-noobs perspective is in some way valid though.

-I want Linux because I believe in Open Source, the very ethos behind it sits perfectly with my values. I guess I'm a bit of a hippy at heart, and the very idea of a product (for want of a better word) being thrust into the publics hands to do with as they please, and allow it to evolve in line with THEIR needs rather than a companies marketing dept's wishes is a very big lure. There does seem to be a 'community' surrounding Linux, I don't know if it stems from Linux users being a minority (in the grand scale of things) coming together for solidarity or what, but one doesn't get that from any other groups really, and I like it.

-I don't trust M$ in any way. Their one driving force is $$$, not pushing for the most advanced, useful, accessable, secure options available, it simply comes down to profit with M$.

-I believe that M$, with windoze has managed to sheild its users from how a computer works, they call things different names in their GUI than what they themselves would use and understand amoungst themselves (for the most part anyway). Yes it makes computers VERY user-friendly...for simple things, as long as they can get programs to suit their needs. As far as your average window$ user goes if there isn't a program available in PC World for something, then it can't be done, end of. That is simply wrong in my book, and holding back development, and peoples use of computers.

-Security! (I don't really need to say more than that)

-Did I say I don't trust M$? I have a few mp3's, I don't want M$ getting their filthy mitts on 'em and removing them from my drive in the future, or doing ANYTHING on my systems that I haven't expressly asked them to do (that doesn't include the nasty little things deep, deep down in their EULAs).

-I can't afford anything Apple, be that hard or software. But then their driving force is 'style', been there, worn several t-shirts, can't be arsed with style anymore.

(Jeez, I must be a burn't out old raver, I only turn 30 this year, LOL)

-Oh yea, and I don't trust M$ and I think they're on to me with my 'China' version of XP ; ) (theres a number of things they wont let me have now-a-days, 'tis good to have a friend with a legal copy (note, non plural!).

Al

P.S.

I voted I dig OS.

But a few of those options applied to me..as you've just read : )

I'm just way more comfortable using Linux. I've been using some flavor of UNIX for 6 years now and I admin HPUX and Solaris so it's just natural for me. It give me the control I'm use to and I love the OSS community.

I just ran into linux about a month ago, and now i love it. I think i got it running to change the use of windows, although it has worked fine for me the last 2 and a half years. Mostly, linux makes me feel like a computer pro, cause it doesnt assume that you know or gives you all the nice gadgets windows does. And quite frankly, i love it so far. I just wish i knew more so i could make the best of the amazing tools it provides. I also want to play some games with linux, but know not where to start.

Suggestions are very welcome at this point. Have a nice day everyone.

honestly what got me hooked was FREE and open source

im a cheapscate teen who doesnt have the money to dish out for software so i pirated it but i stopped after finding linux, i learned later of more perks mostly speed and customizability

i dislike windows because of how it is focused on for so many attacks, at school im constantly asked if i could help people fix their cd and like the last post cds with giant scratches

yeah dont forget speed

my piii 650 mhz is running same speed as my xp gaming box wich runs at 2.06 ghz

i really beleive in the whole opensource movement in fact about everything i use on computers is open source

The New and Shiny option.

After installing Gentoo on my system awhile ago I have not looked back. Once I went through some things, I was able to get a productive environment running flawlessly. After this, its all gravy.

Linux has re-kindled my love for computers. Using mainly Windows at work, I have a hard time fixing all the computers in the office, or using the computers in the office - then going home and doing the exact same thing. I have 3 computers at home, all of them running a variant of linux. I plan on getting one more cheap P3 for a windows print server, but I really do like Linux alot.

It is hard to setup, and hard to use, and hard to learn. But cripes - thats all the fun!

It's awesome setting up cron jobs and seeing the glsa's that matter to you logged to a file on the desktop! It's awesome having the ability to change the color of your taskbar to any color (aside from the four colors, grey, green, blue and silver) without having to add third party software.

And finally...but may be most important...I am using Linux at home for my skills. After putting my Linux experience on my resume, I have had alot of responses (no jobs yet, but thats due to diploma in Comp Eng Tech over Comp Sci Degree...damn universities always take 'graduates of the faculty'). Regardless, I think that any IT person (MS Certified/only included) would gain from using Linux at home/work. Hell - look at clutch. Back when I was visiting ntcompatible he was THEE man to talk to, and most likely still is....but read his post above. If he did not get into Linux, things would have been different.

What does 'OSS' stand for? Anyone?

"In the near future, windohs users will be pitied and laughed at".

-ReFoRMaT 2004

Although i now question why am i running it, cause it so darn complicated and i have such a long to learn how to get around it smoothly. I guess having 6 years cruising with it gives you all the knowledge one needs to feel safe using it. Me, i can't give up windows yet, why? various reasons: 1. i still don't know how to addapt environmental variables for my needs of installing something, 2. i haven't found a way, close but not quite there, to burn CD's as swiftly as in windows, 3. a lot of the apps like dreamweaver and .NEt framework do not run under linux. So my hands are a bit tied up. But still my interest is to become a linux pro or expert i don't know, guru maybe. To accomplish this, i just have to use it every day and read this forum too every day.

Hi pandimic and welcome! smile

We use QuickBooks 2000Pro, and it works pretty much flawlessly. The only problem we have is when we print invoices with our station logo, it will only come out in black and white and not in color. Other than that everything is fine.

Since Win4lin and Quickbooks both take forever to get up and going, we just leave both running and minimize it when not in use.

We don't use the payroll sevice, but I would think it would work fine since IE also works perfectly with Win4Lin.

I'm hoping I can find a way to run Quickbooks straight from Wine so I will not have to even be dependant on Windows 98 from Linux. This is the only app that keeps us from being entirely Windows free.

And i think it's gonna stay alive for a long time. I just became a linux addict, since i have managed to find everything i need, plus i am interested in linux so much that i have to use it for the smallest task, like: burning Cds, browsing, listen to music, download music, C programming, chatting, posting. I just have a few things to learn and figure out: setting up mysql, setting up webservers for PHP and setting up my network with my brother's PC, running Windows XP. I guess that when i'm done doing this, i could say i am a satisfied with linux. Everyday i move away further from windows, just not confident enough yet, so i just keep it there just in case i mess up or in case of an emergency. I just hope more people realize soon that you have a free, stable and nice Os at their disposal. Many reasons may come up for using linux. I can think of a few important ones that make linux worth praising.

I never did voice what I am using when I voted. Suse 9.1 Personal for now. I was disgusted by XP's built in M$ spyware and the 3rd party software squashing behaviour of M$ (M$ supplied mediocre crap, ie: cd writing). I DON'T LIKE OR WANT YOUR NON-WINDOWS APPS BILL! I will be keeping a 2k partition for 'retrotasking' until it becomes obsolete (which is happening at 'light speed'). The only 'stick in the mud' is I can't seem to get 3D working cause I have a chipset Nvidia regards as crap (Apollo Pro 133A). The 2k Nvidia driver 'throttles' the agp back to 2X from 4X. Wish I could do this in Suse! Then at least I would have 3D acc-smeller-ation (heh heh).

Because i like it and i want to learn linux.

It's like a challenge.

Microsoft have a big monopoly, i hate that. Like suing everyone and everythin. Not to mention the patents.

Originally posted by Timmay:

Quote:
Free software is good, though I find its easier to pay in the long run to get all updates. Its also getting harder and harder to find free versions on many Linux websites
Harder and Harder? Try and get support for Win9X/ME as you Windows version of Choice. Microsoft is about ready to start charging for *ANY* updates (bugs or enhancements). I find this rather amusing... Upgrade to our next version it fixes the bug FOR SURE THIS TIME!
Quote:
Linux still has a LONG way to go to be as user friendly as Windows.
User friendly is a realtive term. I find the "Simplicity of Windows" to be an Oxymoronic saying. I use Linux everyday all the time. At work, home, my PDA, my mp3/music player, my car stereo, my primary workstation, my gaming machine. There isn;t a single thing Windows does better than Linux... well except maybe in creating User Frustration!

Quote:
You may disagree with that, but take it from someone who runs it casually, its friendlieness sucks. Bad. All of them.
Try and Run Windows casually, you shall feel the same way. Or How about you run Apple's OSX on a G-something... yeap same feeling. How about you try driving a car with a stick casually, versus driving an automagic... yeap same feeling.
Quote:
Well, Lindows makes it a bit easier, but you dont know what you did really. If they want to go mainstream, the average guy needs to be able to just go without all the driver and app issues I and many others have.
This all comes down to vendor of said devices support for anything *OTHER* than Windows.
Quote:
Too bad they(Linux) cant support .exe files out of the box and ship files and drivers that way, it would make all the difference in the world.
Once again pressure your vendor to get these drivers for Linux... Most everything that has support in Linux is because of some one Reverse Engineering as the vendors DO NOT understand the whole open source thing and think everything is going to be given away in Linux. No that just isn;t the deal. If you know what the issue are... you can make a difference.

Linux in general is actually equal for usability. Try Debian Linux. Free in both senses of the word. Never will be driven by any corporate profit sheet. Easily maintainable, many, many, many reasons to use it.

If you really looked at the whole "issue" you wouldn;t be complaining. You'd be helping out. Until you do understand you are just spreading FUD (Fear, uncertainty and doubt).

I agree gfolkert. Microslop has made everything so IDIOT friendly, they have enslaved the general public. I have had the same, if not more trouble with windohs installing, configuring, etc. Linux to me is not just a new toy, but a way out of vicous cycle of gouging (by Microslop and 3rd party vendors) and increasing invasion of privacy. Windohs is the Big Mac of operating systems, quick and dirty, fatty slop! Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer get my vote for the biggest scam artist(s) of all time! They feed off of the brain dead laziness of others.

i changed recently because i upgraded my computer including my processor (its now a AMD 900 mhz) and windows wanted me to spend another $500 on it to buy a OS.

i heard that mandrake was a good one to start of with so i brought a copy of it from dse and now im half half but its better than me handing over more money than i need to m$

1st off I have really been screwing up here in the forums, since my 1st and 2nd post in the forums are via an IE6 browser. I apologize - since I am dual booting. I have used Mandrake 8.1, 10.1, Knoppix 3.6, Linspire 4.5, and now finally Fedora Core 3 in the past. For some reason - yet to remain unknown - I have stood by MS. :x

No more, Thanks to the worldwide Linux community and all of its information. From here on out my posts/replies will be from my Linux based - Epiphany browser. Thanks for helping me, finally, make the switch over to FC3 and Linux.

Bye - Bill.

I now declare I have more than Bill as as friend. Thanks goes out to the "whole" Linux community - worldwide. :x