Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DeadCats

Hub or Hub/Router?

RoadRunner installed cable modem service earlier this week. We want service to 2 or 3 PC's, and I'm confused.

We had a BNC (with terminators) peer-to-peer network. However, when they installed cable modem service, the installers had me take down the old BNC network, buy an Ethernet NIC for my wife's PC (her old one was BNC-only, while mine is a 3Com combo card), and buy a Hub.

So, okay, I understand that the 2 computers are using the Hub on the network.

What I don't understand, is that not only was a Hub recommended for the cable modem, but some folks in another message board said that I also need a Router.

Our cable modem service appears to work fine without a Router, though it does seem to "hesitate" once in a while when we're both online at the same time. Sometimes the "hesitations" are lengthy. Would a Router or combination Hub/Router cure this? I have a spare NIC to return to the store, so I could easily take back the Hub too and exchange it for a Hub/Router box.

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

[This message has been edited by DeadCats (edited 16 December 2000).]

Here is the thing with cable. You are only getting ONE IP with you "basic" setup. And you need one IP for EACH computer. You can solve this is several ways:

1) Buy more IPs from your ISP ($10 a month each) then plug the CableModem into the HUB though uplink port and connect PC's to the hub.

2)Set one computer as DHCP server. Here, one system would be connected to the CableModem and it would distribute IP's for your local network. (could be a ***** to setup if you don't know what are u up against)

3)Get a router with a build-in swith. Then plug the cable modem into it and plug PCs into it as well. The router would act as a DHCP server but it is almoust completely setup for you. Just needs a bit of easy confing.

The #3 way is probably the best way to go if you don't wanna buy IP's.

Igor, thanks a bunch! Now I know just a little bit more about this networking stuff... laugh

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

One extra thing. With RoadRunner, the modem will act as the DHCP server, so you wont need to setup a PC to do it in suggestion 2.

------------------

Regards,

clutch