Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hornet303

Multihomed Workstation Network Browsing is slow..

Ok, here is my setup. We have 3 servers, all NT4.0 sp6. I am running a Win2k Pro workstation with 2 NIC's. One is for the 10.0.0.x network (for internal stuff) then another NIC for my WAN connection (static IP). I notice recently when I go into the network browser, it takes a LONG time for the domain and its contents to come up. Once Im looking through a specific server, it speeds up again. When I look at the lights to the network cards (in the sys tray), it looks as if it is polling each card to see which one wants to route the traffic. Also, doing some stuff like copying from one spot of a server to another, the network lights for Recieved on the WAN will light, and the send of the LAN light will light up. Odd. How do I best go about setting up routing or what not. Oh, the WAN connection is a SDSL system, with a Flowpoint 2200 DSL router.

thanks for any help.

Jeff

OK, most of the slow browsing performance that I have heard of revolve around poor name resolution. Now, how many protocols do you have? And, are they in the same priority for all the machines in question?

------------------

Regards,

clutch

After re-reading your post, I think I have an idea. You seem to be on the right track as to your problem being routing related. Seems like you are spending a lot of time trying to find a host on the wrong network. Here are a couple of links that might shed some light on this issue (I use traditional routers myself, so I have not needed much work with this outside of the lab).

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/155/10/1.html

http://www.win2000mag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=7036&pg=1

------------------

Regards,

clutch