Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Swedie

I want to limit my bandwidth.. but how???

I'm running a server and I don't people to be able to download any faster than 40kb/s in total for all users together. I'm running on port 5500 and I want somehow limit the bandwidth for that port. I'm running Windows 2000 Professional.

I found a program called Socks Serv. It can limit the usage on specific port numbers but I cannot start up the server after that. It says the port number is currently in use.

What should I do? Please help me. Is there built in features in Windows 2000 that does this for me or do I need some other program?

Either see my post below entitled "capping ftp", or learn to use QoS.

ok. I've read your post. But I'm running a Hotline server which uses port 5500 and it does not go through the normal web or ftp protocal.. I think. I just don't know. Anyhow. In IIS i checked up Bandwidth Throttling for the web and in there I wasn't able to change anything of it. It wasn't available.. Is there a way for me to enable it?

hmm. I found real place for it.. and enabled Bandwidth throttling. But it did not take effect. I changed to 30kb/s and people are still downloading with 150-300 kb/s. Do I need to do a restart of the Hotline server or the whole computer?

Sometimes you have to stop and restart the web services to get changes into effect.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

ok.. I friend of mine tried downloading through web and ftp after I set the bandwidth throttling to 1 kb/s. And he got 11-13 kb/s from his dual ISDN connection.

It didn't seem to work too well that.

Did you reboot the server? Try that.

smile

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Never had a need to. I am not sure that the bandwidth throttling works like you want it to. What I would try to do, is throw the file into the root of a give site in IIS, then download from there. You should be able to see the speed on the client machine with the download dialog.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

wait. what I'm talking about is reducing the speed on a special port number so that people from the outside can't download faster than let's say 5kb/s even though the bandwidth easily can take care of it. I don't want to reduce the speed on the web/ftp part. Just a special port number, in this case 5500 that Hotline uses. Hotline is a server type of program which you can share files with through an interface. But people can right now steal all my bandwidth when they are downloading.

Oooooohhhhh..... Then I have no idea.

smile

------------------

Regards,

clutch

QoS (quality of service) is what you need. Don't ask me how to use it because I am stuck. All I know is that you need a 802.1p compliant (whatever that is) NIC in order to use QoS.

Where can I get the program? And can I limit the speed of just one port in it?

Ah! But I need that program still, right?

I didn't understand what to do either from those pages.

It comes with windows 2000 server edition. I doubt it comes with professional. It is not installed by default, so you will have to whip out your win2k disc and add the service. This is not a simple endeavor, proceed carefully.

Ok.. can I install it on W2k proffesional.. or do I need W2k server installed?

And I need to know.. Can this utility limit the speed on a special port number only without locking up the port number for use of other program such as Hotline (the server program)?

Do you know...?

I believe it can get port specific. Let me repeat, I have never used QoS. After you read those microsoft pages (see earlier clutch post), you will likely know as much as I do.

If you can't find QoS on the win2k professional disk, then you likely can't install it unless you go 3rd party.

For additional reading, here is the linux-QoS howto. (yuk)

http://qos.ittc.ukans.edu/howto/index.html

It would be really cool if an experienced QoS user would chime in. smile

Never used QoS but it is under services even on Windows 2000 Professional.

Cool. I looked it up and found it but.. the desciption on that window says: "Provides network signaling and local traffic control setup functionality for QoS-aware programs and control applets." Will hotline be able to use it? Download hotline at http://www.bigredh.com/hotline3/mirror_pc.html

Out of what I could see there is no real feature that can enable or disable bandwidth throttling in that service. Maybe I'm blind.. can you check it CM?

On my "Windows Component Wizard", there is a "QoS admission control service" that is not installed. The descriptor for this is "Allows you to specify the quality of the network connection of each subnet". This was found under "Network Services".

Just tell Hotline to use a proxy server located in China or someplace really far away. That will keep the bandwidth to a solid 50 bytes/second laugh

haha. If it would be possible I'd set up my own firewall and point to it from Hotline. But right now, Hotline can't do that.

Can anyone here send me QoS? I'll arrange a temporary FTP for you to upload it too. smile