Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
macawgumbo

Mounting Windows Partition under linux

Just recently, I downloaded and installed Redhat Fedora Core 1 on my new machine. This machine dual boots Windows 2000 Professional SP4 and the Fedora Core.

I use:

Biostar M7NCG Pro mobo

Athlon xp "barton" 2500 @1.833GHz

512mb PC2700 DDR SDRAM (2x256mb Dual Channel)

(64mb shared with onboard graphics which sucks, I know, will be upgrading soon).

First off, I need to be able to read and write to my FAT32 partition from Fedora. I need to mount the partition but need help doing so. Also, any advice on how to read/write to ext3 Fedora partition from Windows FAT32 would be greatly appreciated. On top of that, I need some advice on how to get the drivers for nforce2 chipset working. This is the main reason I have to write between partitions due to downloading drivers, plus I need to do this anyway so I can listen to music and such.

To access fat 32 from Linux is fairly simple. Here's how. You'll notice the instructions are for 7.3 but they should work fine.

If there is a dependable way to read/write ext3 from Windows, I am not aware of it.

Admiral LSD would be the one who could help with the nforce 2 chipset question.

I also recently installed Fedora on my system. What I noticed right away, is that Fedora, unlike Mandrake, does not auto config the fat32 partitions (auto mount them by adding a line in the fstab file on install). You can add this mount point fairly easily, as well as a desktop icon referencing the fat32 drive. I use a spare fat32 partiton as a transfer partiton. Any files that I need for both systems, I save to this fat32 partition.

There is support in Fedora, but I don't think that it is compiled into the stock kernel. You would need to recompile the kernel with the support There is also a Fedora RPM 2.6.0 kernel available with this support. Again, I think that you would need to recompile the kernel to add it. I will have to look at mine and see.

Admiral is the one to ask about this. He has answered some questions on this in other threads, you may want to do a search on nforce to find his links on the subject.

Thanks for that macawgumbo. I'll bookmark it. They're now saying to use Gedit instead of Pico. I really like vi, but I'm finding myself using Gedit more and more.. smile

Which file do I need to edit under Fedora Core 1 in order to mount the windows partition upon boot up? Any other info would be greatly appreciated about this and startup.

Should be the same as RedHat 9. Try editing the /etc/fstab, as per the great link that you provided above.

Hi everybody smile

I've gone through the links provided here but they're no good for me as the windows partitions I want to access are NTFS partitions. Now I know this much that Fedora Core 1 can access NTFS partitions, but don't know how to do so. Please help me out asap.

I can access these partitions when using Knoppix 3.3.(Linux on CD).

Shakeel smile

That's one thing I'll say about Mandrake that is a big plus over RH. If you have a fat or NTFS partition on your HD, MDK will find and mount it for you upon install under /mnt. I didn't even realize other distros didn't do the same thing until switching to RH.

c`mmon guys what r u talking about? the support for mounting NTFS partition in red hat 9 is AVAILABLE. i have just upgraded myself to new 2.6.1 kernel release. i didnt check details in that, but earlier when i upgraded my self to 2.4.22 stable kernel, i read it there that NTFS support is available,but u cannot read+write from ur linux to NTFS partition. it is read only. u can copy the data from NTFS to ur linux, but u cant do the opposite. just try this

mount -t ntfs /dev/hdc1 /mnt/cdrive

this mounts NTFS partition (which is drive C:\ in example) to /mnt/cdrive directory in ur linux.

i dont have NTFS partitions on my machine, but i`ve told same to lots of people and i`ve never got the complaint that, that command doesnt work.

Quote:
c`mmon guys what r u talking about? the support for mounting NTFS partition in red hat 9 is AVAILABLE.
Yes, but RH doesn't configure it all for you upon install like MDK does. When you install MDK 9.0, it automatically configures itself so you can mount NTFS from /mnt/windows right after install. Very handy if you're a new Linux user since you don't have to figure it out. Since I no longer have any Windows partitions on any of my computers, I've not tried mounting NTFS partitions from RH to know how well it does or doesn't work..

Agreed. Mandrake does this automatically for you.

Hmm...Fedora core gives me a message that ntfs is not supported by the stock kernel, nor does the kernel 2.6.0 rpm that I installed, support it.

Just to clarify and avoid confusion;

Quote:
mount -t ntfs /dev/hdc1 /mnt/cdrive

In many systems, hda1 is the ist partition on the "C" drive, that is if the drive that contains the NTFS filesystem is on the first partition of the primary master drive. It's wise to know where the ntfs filesystem is to make the correct partition reference withh the mount command.

okay, may be ur right. i havent used mandrake so i dont know what it actually does, but alright if u tell me it does it automatically, i believe u. but u can also make ur red hat distro to do the same thing. just edit /etc/fstab and u can make it mount all the windows partitions automatically on start up/boot time.

i think i shuld post the procedure in another thread with name "automatically mount windows partitions in red hat" , so that some new person can get the idea about the post from name.

Just read that post outstream. Thank you for posting it. It will be a big help to new RH users who are dual booting! smile

The error that we get saying that NTFS is not supported by Fedora, is because the drivers for NTFS support are not installed. Actually, the source is provided to us. But it should've been compiled alongwith the Kernel. RH, however has't done so and I'm a bit apprehensive about recompiling the entire Kernel along with the NTFS support drivers. So, all I want to know now is if it is possible for us to compile the drivers separately, and then simply install them.

Anybody out there know anything about this?

Shakeel. smile

well i think to get NTFS mounted, u need the support provided in kernel and inorder to provide support for it in kernel, u have to recompile it.

Cheers!!!!

I have just found out the solution to our problem. Just go to the following link and follow the instructions:

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora1.html

I can now access my NTFS partitions with ease. smile

However, after installing the drivers, everytime I login, I get the following 'informational' message:

Sound server informational message:

Error while initializing the sound driver:

can't set requested samplingrate (requested rate 44100, got rate 49527)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

So please, SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!!!! frown

Please help out asap.

Shakeel frown

My sound device is from Intel:

Model: 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Crontroller

Module: i810_audio

Now when I run redhat-config-soundcard, and click test, I get the following message on the terminal:

i810_audio: Device or resource busy

sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Device or resource busy

Maybe now you can easily help out. smile

Shakeel