Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ryoko

Advice request for dealing with potential hacker

For several weeks now my firewall has been going crazy from port scanning and DOS attacks from one computer. The hacker's ISP has not taken action even though I have sent several requests to them. Can anyone offer some advice on my next step? I am using a software firewall for a home pc, and I set it to block all traffic to and from this person. I would like the ability to change my ip address, but if I release my IP through winipcfg I still get the same one back the next time I log on. If I wait for my ISP's dhcp lease to expire (after about 4 days) I will get a new IP and a few days of peace before this person starts again.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any advice you might give.

-RY

Hack him.....find him.....get a baseball bat......sorry i cant be of more help

[This message has been edited by CrazyKillerMan (edited 22 October 2000).]

Ask for the president of the isp, or at least a manager. When you start to go above in the chain of command then people take notice.

If your firewall is catching everything, then you are doing all you can. What is the ip of the offending computer? Remember, in all liklihood it is someone other than that who is running a trojan off of that ip.

Shrink

I wouldn't be too worried.

If this person is only port scanning or DoS'ing you they are likely to be an AOL Lamer script kiddie.

Most likely they've just discovered Retina and WinNuke and are trying it on any host that will reply to a ping.

Try posting a message on your ISP noticeboard to see if anyone else in your IP range is having trouble with this d.ick.

What you should be worried about is if it is sniffing unsecure packets. Do you telnet into any UNIX servers? If so, download an SSH client and use that instead of the telnet client as some UNIX passwords are sent clear text.

Meanwhile, download GeoBoy and get a trace on his/her/its arse. Once you have this, get your ISP to contact the d.icks ISP and threaten legal action for compromising the network or some bullsh1t like that.

Happy hunting.

I work for a national ISP your ISP has to take action against this. Definitely contact your ISP and ask for a supervisor or manager, also ask for the mailing address of there coporate office and write them a letter. Whenyou start threatening to talk to there higher ups they have the tendency to help you out.

if ur isp won't do anything i would start posting his ip all over the place. smile specially places where lotsa hackers and whatnot frequent. smile if u can't get his internet taken away at least get his computer incapacitated. :>