Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Goronok

Adding Network Protocols??

I just put a pcmcia network card into my laptop and it works really well, i would like to be able to play games with my computer though. I was wondering how to add protocols such as ipx and netbeui. When i loaded 2k on my other machine it automatically picked up the network card and asked which protocols i wanted to load. This didnt ask me that, so im not really sure what to do. I can get as far as seeing that i have tcp/ip loaded, but it doesnt let me add protocols there. If anyone knows how to do this i would greatly appreciate the info. thanks.

Hi,

Just right-click on "My Network Places" or "Network Neighborhood" or whatever it's calling itself at the moment, and select "Properties" from the context menu. This puts you in the "Network and Dial-up Connections" window. Right-click on the "Local Area Connection" icon, and select "Properties" from the context menu. Use the "Install" button to install new Clients, Services or Protocols as needed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jim

Jim's reply is exactly correct on what to do, however I would like to add that you can also install the latest ipx client from Novell. It is 2000 compatible and offers some nice features if you connect to novell servers. If you don't connect to a Novell server, then stick with the microsoft client.

-RY