Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RaidR

Unable to share drive on w2kpro from 98...

I have a 3pc LAN based home network 2 pc's on 98 and the other w2kpro(w/cablemodem/internet sharing) All pc's are on the same workgroup( I can map to either 98 pc, however when I try to map from the 98pc to a drive on the w2kpro pc I get a request for a pass word(this is the name that appears:\\CHARPAN\IPC%). I have set the drive in question to share and am using the default settings "C$" is the name but I can't set permissions. (I login as admintrator) I tried creating a new share which allows changes in permissions, when I select workgroup in the dropdown the only pc it sees is its own (CHARPAN) this is the only area that the other pc's donot show-up. I can go into the networkneighborhood and see the workgroup names of the other connected pc's. Needless to say since I have a cablemodem and a network I have two NICS and they are both set to DHCP under TCP/IP. Am I missing a service do I have to create an account somewhere do I have to create an account for myself on the w2kpro pc? Please help if you can.

You might want to try going to Contol Panel>Users&Passwords>Advanced>Advanced, select Users, right-click on Guests, click on Properties, and uncheck the "Account is disabled" box. smile

------------------

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

Thanks can't wait to get home and give it a try. I actually got that far but did not know where to inable it.

Please don't enable your win2k guest account, especially you have cable. Win2k requires an username/password to access it shares, so just create an user in both win98 and w2k. Finally, make sure file and print sharing is only enable on the internal NIC, not the external/cable NIC.

Quote:
Originally posted by solaris8:
Please don't enable your win2k guest account, especially you have cable. Win2k requires an username/password to access it shares, so just create an user in both win98 and w2k. Finally, make sure file and print sharing is only enable on the internal NIC, not the external/cable NIC.

Win2K does not require a username/password to access its shares.

Let's consider a LAN not connected to internet.

If guest access is disabled in Win2k, how will a Win98 machine enter a login name when Win98 tries to connect to Win2k machine?

I tried this and Win98 only gives me a space for password, I don't know how to enter a login name

for win98 users, login names are stuck with the username that they logged on to the machine with.

I see

so on the Win98 machine, all I need to do is use a login name that is the same as a Win2k account. I see. That would certainly avoid 'free' guest logins, right? smile

excellente. Thanks.

kearos

Solaris was right about the Guest account. You enable that and someday you will get a visit you will remember for a long time.

The reason you were having difficulty accessing the C: drive on your win2k machine from win98 is that a share called C$ is an administrator hidden share. You have to have administrator privileges in the workgroup or domain to access these root shares.

It might be an idea to get a hardware or software firewall installed at your Wan connection also. Make sure you have all your computers setup the way you like and all your shares working first. Document all your settings and share names etc, then implement a firewall to protect yourself.

I enabled my Guest account, b/c while 2 people run Win2K, most ppl on my network run Win9x, and we were having problems sharing, even when we made a user with their login names.

But, we do have a firewall for our shared sDSL, which I think anyone who has a constant and direct connection to the 'Net should have. You can go in and try to strip even more privelidges from the Guest account though.

-bZj

I want to thank everyone for there help. I can now see my w2kpro drive and share printing from my workgroup pc. frown However I have a whole new problem and here it is: As I mentioned before I have broadband and prior to upgrading I was able to share internet connection. However mysteriously (perhaps while configuring to share network drive)my workgroup pc's are unable to connect to the net. This is my current TCP/IP stack from ipconfig on the w2kpro pc(pipeline to the net, my ISP uses DHCP)

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix se.mediaone.net

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . .24.26.26.XXX

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . 255.255.252.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . .24.26.27.254

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Autoconfiguration IP Address. . 169.254.92.65

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

I have sharing checked on primary NIC(external), and both NIC's "Obtain an IP address automatically" checked. Both are set in the WINS tab "Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server"

All hardware and fancy lights are working. Thank you for your help.

your ethernet 2 nic is using a reserved ip and subnet because it can't resolve an ip from a dhcp server. thats why you aren't able to share the internet connection.

try using ICS from your win2000 machine. ics acts as a dhcp server on the internal network and should assign ip's on the same subnet for your other machines. it should, but i won't guarantee that it will. just set your other machines to obtain ip address's automatically.

normally you would go to a command prompt after this is setup and use ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew to force dhcp to lease new ip's for the adapters, but i have no idea what you use in win98.

maybe just cold booting and logging onto the network again will do the trick. anybody?

personally i don't use ICS because it takes over dhcp and messes up my actual dhcp scope, so i use winproxy instead for internet sharing. other people have mentioned that WinRoute does an excellent job and also provides a firewall at the same time.

let us know if any of this helps you smile

to release/renew ip's in Win9x, run winipcfg, make sure the correct adapter is selected, and click the button you want...

I have good news and bad. I went here for some additional advice http://win2000mag-asap.com/info/com.winntmag_winntmag_7882_7882.html?se=ink. The ICS section got me thinking because it kept referring to the ip 192.168.0.1 as being the autoconfiguration address of my internal NIC, however if you look at my ipconfig it has 169.254.92.65, so I assigned sharing to my internal NIC to see what would and a message popped up saying that my local connection1 will now be configured with 192.168.0.1, so when I saw that natural I reapplied the sharing back to the #1 connection(external NIC) and it reset my internal NIC to 192.168.0.1, I was able to release my one of my client

pc's ip reboot and now it connects to the net. Here's the bad part for the life of me I connect do the same for my other client pc. I have created an account on the host, removed the NIC(through device manager), rebuilt the TCP/IP stack and it still holds on to this obsure ip 169.254.221.218, it won't release it. Now I need help in this direction. I want to thank everyone and this forum for the guidance.

I had a ICS setup disk laying around and used it on the client pc in question nothing happen, then I did the wizard thing and still nothing happen, so I threw my hands up and said I quit. About a 1/2hr later I noticed my BlackIce was alerting me so out of curiousity I looked at it and lo and behold it was 192.168.0.2, I then marked the ip as trusted and ran to the pc hit IE and there in all its splender was the homepage, sniffle, sniffle! I immediately set out to thank the cyber gods and sacrificed a memory chip in their honor. Seriuosly I don't know if was coincidence(maybe the DHCP lease was up) or between the ICS setup disk and the internet connection wizard it was triggered to end the old lease. Needless to say I'm back in business. Thank you! WAHOO!