Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
macawgumbo

Internet Connection Sharing Between Windows 2k & Redhat

I was wondering about how to share an internet connection coming in through my Windows 2000 box from my linux box. My linux box is directly connected via an ethernet cable to my Windows 2000 box. The Win2k box is connected to my network and the internet via a Linksys USB Wireless 802.11b adapter. Any help is appreciated.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly, but the way it should be setup is:

The cat 5 cable out of the dsl/cable modem should be plugged into the router "uplink", and both boxes should be plugged into "1" and "2" on the back of the router. Be sure to do this with power off the modem, the router and the boxes. Then power up modem, the router, then box one and two in that order. Linksys is a good choice!

I have Fedora set up on my machine, set up as a workstation. My system is directly connected to the router and my wife's (Win XP) to a wireless D-Link card.

Once Fedora was set up, I made a desktop icon (right click on the desktop, choose create new...hard disk and name it what you want). Under the URL dropdown box, type smb:/ in the text box. Accept the changes.

Then double click on the icon that you just make and you should see all your share drives on the Win 2K box.

Here's the scoop:

My Windows 2000 pro box is located on the opposite side of the house and upstairs from my router and cable modem. I have a linux box right beside it in the same room. I can't run cables without going through considerable expense and hassle. So I'm stuck with wireless. (My router is 802.11b and has a 4 port switch) Therefore, I really didnt want to buy a wireless bridge because of expense. I have a NIC card in both my windows and linux boxes (currently on Redhat 7, upgradable to 8 or 9 in near future). I also have a wireless usb adapter from linksys which I use with my laptop. I wanted to do something similar to Internet Connection Sharing in Windows so I can hook the wireless usb adapter into my windows box, run a cat5 cable directly from my windows box to my linux box, and share an internet connection and transfer files between the two. (I have a kvm switch so i can use my nice monitor and keyboard and can easily work with both simultaneously) In the future, I hope to be able to plug an old 4 port ethernet hub into my windows box and still share the internet connection with my linux box, but also occasionally with my laptop that I could plug in. I hope this explains it better. Please, any help is greatly appreciated!!

[size:14]Here's A Diagram[/color]

Cable Modem -> Router =Wireless= Usb Adapter -> Windows 2000 Pro

-> Linux Box (Red Hat 7) via ethernet

[size:14] In future:[/color]

Cable Modem -> Router =Wireless= USB Adapter -> Windows 2000 Pro

-> 4 port HUB -> Linux Box and/or (Windows 2000 Pro)

Hmm... I think I understand.

The two systems in question are on the opposite side of the house from the primary internet connection.

You can only have two internet accounts/connections through your ISP provider?

You want to "hard wire" the two boxes in the same room to share the internet connection, and control the two boxes in the same room, using the KVM switch.

Good question! Maybe Dapper Dan can shed some light on this.

Quote:
Maybe Dapper Dan can shed some light on this.
I'm afraid this is beyond my area of knowledge, sorry.

Hi, Makaw,

You could install a private Proxy on you Win2000 pc, for instance the WinGate one. Then configure this proxy in your Linux browsers. I tried it, it works.

Regards

Zorba