Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rlculver

Help - Game networking

I need yor help.

I am sharing the internet from my Windows 98 machine which is a cable modem (has two network cards).

I used to have ISDN and that worked fine when playing network games, but when I now try and connect to a network ganme, it says (the ganme) connection lost in win2k. Please help - What can I do to fix this.

Thanks

Robert

Note - I am sharing the internet using Microsofts Internet Sharing Software

do you have the cable modem plugged into your win98 machine, and then a win 2k machine is networked to the win98 machine and you are using ICS to share the internet with win98 machine?

on which machine are you getting the internet dropout? the 98 or the win2k?

if its both machines, do you still get a lost connection if you disable ICS and use only the win98 machine to connect to the games you're trying to play but can't?

Yep thats right - The cable modem is plugged into the winme machine and is shared using Microsofts software.

The dropout is only on the win2k machine !!!

Thanks for your help

Robert

I would really like to use win2k.

hmm. so you're not using 98, its ME. a lot of people seem to be having problems networking a mixed environment with ME.

my preference would be to let the win2k machine be the primary for the network and the internet. win2k is superior in all areas including networking and ICS.

what are your tcp/ip values and subnets from your nic's? are you using static or dhcp addressing through ics? using netbios at all? these parameters are setup far more easily in win2k than win9x.

using a hub (what type) switch or router?

if you can get back with that info, a lot of guys are using Wan connections with mixed mode networks and should be able to pin down the problem.

Its probably an incorrect ip/subnet or maybe you just need to apply port forwarding to your cable modem.