Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slewis1972

Cannot Ping on a home network - help

I have setup a home network and and cannot seem to ping each machine. This

is the senario:-

2 PC's connected together with a crossover cable.

First PC running Win2k with both TCP and Netbios installed with an IP

address of 192.168.0.1, plus subnet 255.255.255.0.

Second PC running Win95 with both TCP and Netbios installed with an IP

address of 192.168.0.2, plus subnet 255.255.255.0.

Both using 3com 10Mbps Combo cards using Cat5 cable.

Both configured using Workgroup:- Home

Both see each other using Netbios over TCP - Fine, no problem.

BUT cannot ping either machine. If I though conflict the machines by making them run the same IP address then an error shows up saying there is a conflict due to IP address

conflict. So why no PING.

Any ideas what I can try tonight when I get home.

Scott

Is there a reason why you want the Win95 machine to have that specific IP address?

If not, use your Win2k machine as a DHCP server to assign an address. This is how I run my home LAN, and everything works peachy.

My network consists of a Win2k Pro and a Win98SE machine.

I was hoping to get TCP setup for reference, but If you say DHCP serer is a better way to go I will try. But I would like to know why I cannot ping, yet both machines see each other.

Scott

Let me offer something.. Are you using a hub or not? If you are directly connecting 2 computers, you will need your cat5 cable to be crossed. If you have the tools, you can do this yourself, or you can go buy one for relatively cheap. My guess is that this is not your problem, since you are able to see the other computers. One thing that has been pretty helpful has been the command prompt command : ipconfig /all (for the w2k box), and I cant remember what it is for the 9x box, winipcfg maybe? But regardless of what you set it (thru net properties), sometimes it will screw up, and the above command will help you out. Next, when you ping, are you giving the explicit IP number? or a DNS name? netbios should let you use names, but you might want to try the IP. Well, let me know how it goes...

j

Sorted it. The most annoying problem I had with the most easiest answer. It was my firewall. Even though I had configured it - zonealarm, so once I reinstalled it, I can now ping. So have deleted Netbeui, and all works fine.

Thanks for all the help,

Scott