Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord-Data

win2k/win9x/me networking slowdown

just curious, is this just a win2k(nt?) 'feature', but when i browse the network and access a machines list of shares, it takes a notibly long time to get a responce. iv reinstalled windows a number of times on both machines, and yet refreshing/loading either are slow. once its got the list of shares, everythign is instant, and transfers are fast, just browsing. not sure whats going on. anyone got any ideas?

------------------

<A HREF="http://www.thewolfslair.com

" TARGET=_blank>www.thewolfslair.com

</A>

just curious but I can't get my win2k/winme/win98 combination to even talk to each other. Can you tell me how you got yours to work.

chances are your win2k machine can happily talk to the winme/win9x machines, browse them, but the win9x/me boxes cant browse teh win2k machine.

well, thats what i had originally anyway. win2k is nt based, and tries to be secure. unless tehres a way to turn this off (which i dont know, any one got any ideas?) then you have to add the win9x machines to win2k's user list. Ie, if you have the win98 machine's login name and password as abc/def, you need to create a user to the same specifications on the win2k machine (users control panel), then the machine will work. Its good in a way, coz you can set shares for certain users only, etc.

------------------

</A>

I have that part figured out......but I can't even get them to talk at all......I need to figure out the actual LAN setup....i.e. Protocols and setup.....

well, as long as they all have the same protocols it shoudl be fine

my setup has ipx/spx and tcp/ip.

i have my win2k machine set as 192.168.0.1, with internet connection sharing providing a dhcp server for the otehr machines on the network. theyr all set to automatic, with the dns and gateway fields filled in, and all is fine.

------------------

</A>

Basically, don't use network browsing with Windows 2000. It uses about 38% of the available bandwidth. Instead, access your other computers using a UNC (ie. \\workstation1\c$\share). It will get rid of the slowdown problem, and leave your bandwidth open.

well, network bandwidth isnt exactly a problem for me at most times, its mainly at lan parties when i dont know the names/workgroups or other machines that i have to use it. Otherwise, locally, yes, i use direct accessing

------------------

</A>

Quote:

... access your other computers using a UNC (ie. \workstation1\c$\share). It will get rid of the slowdown problem, and leave your bandwidth open.

how would i do this?

Quote:

Delete this key in the registry and reboot:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]

This key makes win2k look for scheduled tasks and is causing the delay when browsing win9x-machines.

/Toby

Get all the machines on TCP/IP and Client for MS Networks (if 95/98/ME). Use 192.168.110.xxx as the subnet, use 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask, and use [whatever] as your DF IP if you have a router.

Specify everyone on the same workgroup name. I'm assuming you aren't running a domain.... Enable file and print sharing and share the resources you want to share.

It really doesn't matter what IP you use. The IP that you set does not "slow down" your network. It doesn't matter if it starts with a 1 or ends with a 254 those numbers mean nothing for speed. As long as the IP that you use is not shared. Also as long as you use Private IP ranges your safer on the net too. Due to private IP's being nonroutable.

If you had a browse master it would work a lot quicker.

Unfortunately, the best way to do this is to setup a linux box.

Offtopic: Does anyone know how to tell 2000 to not participate in the smb browse master war?

Anything..

Normally I just setup whatever NT-based box that I am using to act as a WINS server. Then, no problems with browsing whatsoever. Now, as to your problem, Anything, I believe this is what you are looking for. Here's the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treevie...rt4/proch23.asp

And here's the part that you may find of interest:

When a Windows 2000 Professional–based computer starts up, it first checks the registry entry MaintainServerList to determine whether a computer can become a browser. This entry is found in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM \CurrentControlSet \Services \Browser \Parameters

Table 23.4 describes the values that you can assign to the MaintainServerList entry to specify how a computer participates in browser services.

Table 23.4 Allowable Values for the MaintainServerList Registry Entry Value

Description

No

Prevents the computer from participating as a browser.

Yes

Makes the computer a browser. Upon startup, the computer attempts to contact the master browser to get a current browse list. If the master browser cannot be found, the computer forces a browser election. The computer becomes either an elected master browser or a backup browser.

Auto

Makes the computer a potential browser. It might become a browser, depending on the number of currently active browsers. The master browser notifies the computer whether it is to become a backup browser.

This value is the default for computers running Windows 2000 Professional and Windows NT Workstation 4.0.

Tip It is a good idea to set the MaintainServerList entry to No on computers that are frequently powered off or removed from the network, such as portable computers. This ensures that a browse server is always available and helps to reduce browser elections. Disabling browsing on client computers also reduces the network overhead that results from browser announcements.