Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Laddyboy

Really tough Network question

Ok, here is the situation. we got bellsouth ADSL at work as our main connection to the internet. It works fine except if we try to go to www.ups.com or www.fedex.com. we get an error 45 (I think)

We called bellsouth and they can't figure it out...we called UPS and they can't figure it out either...UPS says all is ok on there side...now here is where it really gets weird. We tried the dail-up, back up for Bellsouth and have the same problem...but I dialed into there other server and it works...Anyone have any clue what is up with this. Bellsouth says there DNS servers are up and working fine....Your help is needed.

I tried tracert and I get request times out. Do you think the problem could be in out router?

Thanks

Laddyboy

could be, maybe they know your the unabomber and dont want you shipping packages through them.

Now that was funny! I read that and just had to laugh...even though it is not helping me. thanks for a good laugh

Bellsouth may be telling you everything is fine, but that doesn't mean that it is.

Sounds like the problem is on their end with their DNS server(s). Probably a bad entry in the lookup zones somewhere and they don't want to bother checking it out or they don't know how to.

Try seeing if you can force your connection to those URL's to use different name servers until you find one that properly resolves.

Sorry I'm not much help here, DNS can get very complicated.

Although I am sure I am not the unabomber, I am not too sure about other things. One thing I am sure about is my DSL problem is fixed..at least until next time. Here is what was up. After UPS said it wasn't them and Bellsouth said it wasn't them. I did a tracert and found out I was getting dropped in NJ just like other people were getting. Apparently there is a forum just on this on Bellsouth's news group. Anyway. I called UPS and told them I was getting dropped from there server in NJ and if they could take another look at it. Well they called back and found out that they blocked those IP address because they were getting hacked into. They rerouted us through another server and we are back in business. Thanks to all that help me out.

Interseting.. I agree that it is possibly a DNS error. When you got your DSL fact sheet, were all the DNS entries entered properly? Can you ping the url, to get their IP number, and try going to the IP thru your browser. If you cant connect then there must be some type of filtering goin on. If you connect, then it must be a DNS error.

jeff