Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Radelon

Networking Win2k with 98 or ME

I'm having some trouble getting my lan working. I have collisions all over the place and no data being transferred between computers. Any help appreciated. My main goal is to get the computers to recognize each other and use Internet Connection Sharing with Win2k as the host for the connection.

TIA

I have had the network working before without using Win2k. I threw Win2k Pro in the mix and nothing but problems. Here's my computer/lan information:

Server (modem right now will be DSL soon):

950 mhz Athlon Thunderbird SlotA

128 PC100

15 gig WD 7200 rpm expert drive

Actiontec 56k v.90 PCI Pro

Realtek 10/100 NIC

Windows 2000 Pro

1st Workstation:

550 mhz K6-2

64 PC100

8.4 gig WD

NE2000 Compatible NIC (it was free and works)

Windows Millenium

2nd Workstation:

433 Celeron

64 meg Ram

8 gig HD

NE2000 Compatible NIC

Windows 98 1st Edition

Soho 10 baseT 5 port hub.....

All the Networking cable tests ok. Used a cable tester.

Any help appreciated and detailed instructions accepted.

Thanks for your help and time.

There shouldn't be any problem getting these babies to network in a workgroup without collisions. Fast Ethernet nics and a switch would be better, but you have enough gear.

First make sure that each NIC is not disabled in your hardware profiles. Then for each computer starting with the Win2k one, right click on my network places | choose properties | right click on local area connection | Properties | select tcp/ip | select "show icon in taskbar when connected and choose properties.

This is where you make static ip addresses for your network so all the computers will see each other. Some probably are right now, but some may be using a different subnet and may only be communication partially with NetB. Anyways I recommend Class C ip convention. So first machine to the fourth machine will be: 192.168.1.100 , 192.168.1.101, 192.168.1.102, 192.168.1.103 and so on as you add machines. You can go up to 192.168.1.254 with the third octet being one. MAKE sure that the subnet mask for all of the NIC's is 255.255.255.0

Don't set a default gateway, DNS servers or anything like that.

When you setup ICS you will probably have to enter the IP info for your Win2k box, but not sure. I used Winproxy on my home network and it was self configuring for the most part.

Now you should be able to play TCP/IP network games without any problems. As far as sharing resources between the computers, you will have to create shared drives, folders etc. and then map network drives from the other computers. You should be able to browse to the shared drives through Network Neighbourhood or My Network Places, then right click on them and select map network drive (select reconnect at logon check box if there, so the drive is always mapped when you boot up).

There's the basics in a nutshell. Good Luck.

I found my problem.....It was the hub.....it didn't support win2k connection so I went out and bought a Linksys 10/100 Autosensing hub and set everything up and it works. IP's are 192.168.0.1 up to .3