Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
clutch

First Post! And, anyone know of fast RH mirrors?

I am trying to get RH 7.3, and most of the mirrors are flooded, and the only one I can get is capped at 30KB/s. Anybody know of a good one?

This fast site I run a cross

ftp.linux.tucows.com/pub/ISO

A small warning:

Red Hat Linux has no NTFS support. You need to recompile the kernel for that.

In case you missed it, here's the official mirrors page: http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html

Last time I downloaded it, I had the best luck from the .gov mirrors. There's two there that have the iso's, and I was able to download at about 250 KB/s from each one (at the same time! :D)

This is a fast one:

ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/redhat/redhat/redhat-7.3-en/iso/i386/

/Toby

I have the ISOs of Valhalla (RH 7.3) and Mandrake 8.2, but my upload speed is far from "fast"> a mere 128 kb/s which translates to 16KB/s frown

Thanks guys, but I think I figured out the problem. In my version of SmartFTP, there seems to be a cap setting in the Global Queue that is apparent in the regular download settings. I had been to 12 or so mirrors on the RH site before I gave up and came here. Now, I have been getting them at 160KB/s or so.

One thing I would like to mention is that the GUI setup on 7.3 is actually quite nice, and I like the explanations on all the packages (and package dependency validation) that it provides in custom mode. So far, so good...

smile

Quote:
A small warning:
Red Hat Linux has no NTFS support. You need to recompile the kernel for that.

Is the support even read/write yet? The last I heard 2.4's NTFS support was still read only.

Quote:
Is the support even read/write yet? The last I heard 2.4's NTFS support was still read only.

The NTFS write support is, and I quote "dangerous", in other words it could mess up your NTFS partition. Never tried it though and maybe it works, well I don't want to try it on your data partition laugh

Cya lX.

Quote:
The NTFS write support is, and I quote "dangerous", in other words it could mess up your NTFS partition. Never tried it though and maybe it works, well I don't want to try it on your data partition laugh

Cya lX.

It's been that way for the last 3-4 years (I remember reading that in 2.0.x kernel sources), how long is it going to take?

Quote:
It's been that way for the last 3-4 years (I remember reading that in 2.0.x kernel sources), how long is it going to take?

Well it's a Micro$oft product, so it's probably always dangerous writing to NTFS . laugh

Cya lX