Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sopel39

Kernel Panic at start with RHL 9

I' m beginner in Linux and a bit in English, so for first I'm sory that I live.

I've bought a new computer and installed on it Win2000, my partition system looks like this:

-Win2000

-Data Partition

-free

I've started RHL 9 instlled and created 2 more partitions for ext3 and swap. Then I've installed linux (bootloader GRUB). I'm rebooting computer starting linux and... immediately after kernel is loaded it panic.

Error Message: "attempting to kill or terminate, or somewhat with init".

What can I do or what is source of this error?

I don't know how to address either of y'alls problem directly, but maybe by asking a few questions, we might be able to come up with a good course of action. First, I'd be interested to know if you can still boot to windows, or if there is a problem there too. Also, am I understanding correctly that this happened on the very first time you tried to boot Linux, after the first time you tried a RH 9 install?

I can still boot to windows, else I couldn't write this post, and kernel panic only when I installed RHL 9, other linux system works fine and I have VIA board.

also correct me if im wrong, but kill is how linux says shut off or close programs.. you dont need to worry like the computer is gonna bust or sumtin...

sopel39, I would just attempt another RH 9 install. Try again and see if you get the very same problem.

>Try again and see if you get the very same problem

Yes, but it doesn't change anything, kernel doesn't boot.

Hmm. Then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. I wonder if it's possible there is some sort of corruption on the disk itself that's causing it not to compile correctly. Anyone else?

Quote:
What's it trying to do when it panics, can you post the lines right before the panic message?

No, I've removed RHL, but I would like to install it again if somebody help me. I can only write that the error corrupted (stack trace) in functions like that maybe: ide_bus, init_thread()..., but hard drive is fine, I've tried to install it in another part of drive and problem doesn't stop.