Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cardinal

msiexec.exe always running

Hi guys smile

Don't hate me because of my opinion on firewalls. Anyway, I need help with a concern I have, a process msiexec.exe is always running. According to the M$ knowledge base this file is a component of the Windows installer.

"The Msiexec.exe program is a component of the Windows installer. When called by Setup.exe, Msiexec.exe uses a dynamic-link library, Msi.dll, to read the Windows installer package (MSI file), apply the Windows installer transform (MST file), incorporate command-line options supplied by Setup.exe, and install the Office applications"

The question I have is, why is the executable always running? Do I have a dodgy program on my system that has left this task open or is it normal? And if not, how do I get rid of this?

Regards,

Cardinal

---------------------------------

My Slug.

<-------------------------------->

Abit BE6 II rev 1.2

Celeron 566@850 mhz

13g ide Hdd

SMC NIC 100mb

REALSHIT 8029 NIC 10mb

Riva tnt2u frown

SBlive

256mb ram

HP 9300 CDRW

Windows 2000

<-------------------------------->

[This message has been edited by Cardinal (edited 29 March 2001).]

Check the service "Windows Installer" it should be set to Manual. (you can stop it now if it's running)

Perhaps you did set it to Automatic by mistake, that is the service which start msiexec.exe

Try it...

/Toby

[This message has been edited by Toby (edited 29 March 2001).]

if u really want to get rid of it, as a last resort, get a prog such as regrun 2, it will allow u to stop programs from starting up (it searches registry, autoexec, winboot, . . .)

Thanks guys for the response.

Somehow I screwed up and had it set to automatic (duh)

Fixed.

- Card