Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bennybone

Easy Cd Creator 5 ERROR!!!! Need your brainpower!

Greetings,

Ok here we go.

Installed ESCD 5 in Win98SE. Popped in a blank disk and formatted it using Direct CD 5 for drag and drop operation. Dragged my backup directory to the burner and it copied the folder to the drive. Pushed the eject button and made the CD readable with all standard cd rom drive. Took the disc out and put it in my standard CD rom and verified that it worked and that I could copy files off of it.

REFORMATTED my drive and did a fresh install of WINDOWS 2K Prof. I get into the OS and load SP1. I pop in my backup disc that I created in Win 98 and I get this error.

"Disk is not formatted, format now?"

WTF!!!

I tried it is the burner drive and same error... It just wont allow me to access the CD of either drive.

I put in some old backups that I made using Easy CD Creator 4.02 and it can read those shocked

What is going on here!!!

So I get pissed and REFORMAT again back to 98SE and the first time that the OS comes up I put the disc in both drive and it is able to read it fine...

I am truely perplexed!

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

BTW my email is: cindyrangel@home.com or ben_mendoza@afcc.com Please put both in your email if you wish!

Just an idea....

Try to install an aspi layer...

if you have an Adaptec SCSI controler

you can download there a aspi layer

------------------

Asus CUSL2 Mobo 1006A, PIII 800EB, Elsa Geforce 2 Mx, 32MB, SB LIVE! VALUE, 256Mb PC133 CAS3, Quantum Fireball lct20 20,IntelPro/100+,Asus 8xDVD-ROM, HP CD-WRITER+ 9300

Apacabar BeOS5 Pro

M$ Whistler 2428

Oops forgot to say,

Its a IDE drive not ScSi.

Also I looked at the properties of the disks that wont work and they are "read only" and under the "used by" field it says UDFRDR instead of DirectCD...

I have no idea what ESCD 5 is doing but it isnt cool!

Um. I do have some idea as to perhaps, why this has happened. Is the cd media you used a cdrw? Because if it is and you formatted it with directcd 5 (inlcuded with easy cd creator 5 and/or winoncd 3.8)then it has used adaptecs UDF layer to format the cd.

------------------------------------

" Universal Disk Format version 1.5

Universal Disk Format version 1.5 is a file system standard that enables a CD-Recorder to be used as a logical device on a computer system. In other words, UDF lets you read files from and write files to a CD in your CD-Recorder, just as you would read and write files to a floppy disk or a hard disk. "

-------------------------

But apparently when easy cd writes to a cd in this manner, it includes software that allows computers to read this format. As stated here;

" If you have DirectCD 5.0 installed, you automatically have the UDF Reader needed to read UDF v.1.5 – formatted CDs. When you make a CD using DirectCD, it automatically copies the UDF Reader for Windows to the CD. When you insert the CD into a drive, the reader will automatically ask if you want to install it.

UDF v.1.5 – compatible readers are available for most common operating systems and must be installed for CD-Recorders to read UDF v.1.5 – formatted CDs. "

I am just trying to shed some light on the issue. Perhaps your problem might not even relate to this. But this is definately a potential problem for people trying to read these particular cd's.

Install Aspi layer since there is none in Windows 2000:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/supporteditorial.html?prodkey=ASPI_Layer_Upkeep

Remove Take Two software from EZCD 5. Remove anti-virus, Norton Utilities and Undelete.

Contact Microsoft to get HotFix from SP2 then wait for Adaptec Roxio fix to enable EZCD 5 compatibility with Windows 2000.

Do not use High Speed CD-RW (4X-10X) discs.

If you want to uninstall EZCD 5 read this:

http://ask.roxio.com/cgi-bin/roxio_tic/s...amp;3=uninstall

There also is a patch in Roxio Support Database to restore your Registry files.

i have had no problems with directCD 5 in 2k at all. The only problem is the UDF layer that directCD 5 uses is different than all other versions but for some reason doesnt auto-install like the old versions did. You just need to get the latest UDF reader from adaptec to make 2k read CDs formatted in DirectCD 5 when it is not installed. I had a similar problem in whistler since it doesnt like directCD 5 much.

That is useful knowledge that would be sufficient in case of a UDF formatted disc.

Bennybone explains that he then converted the disc to ISO format when ejecting:

"made the CD readable with all standard cd rom drive."

A further step would be to use the Scandisk utility activated either in Direct CD folder with double click on the tray icon.

Direct CD Scandisk could reopen the disc for packet writing. Check also for recovery tool.

Ok here we go,

I went back to 98SE yesterday and I installed ESCD 5 and this time I paid CLOSE attention to what I was doing. I made a backup using DCD 5 and I unchecked the option to save it as a UDF 1.5 (thinking that Win2k isnt capable of that) and so then I chose to save it as ISSO mode 2 (readable in all CD-roms).

So I reformat AGAIN lastnight (this makes 4 reformats in 2 days if anyone is counting) and when I get into 2k I install the "latest" UDF reader from Roxio (JUST IN CASE) and I click on the Cd-rom and get the same error! And get this Win2k is showing the properties on the disk to be UDF but after I installed Nero 5.0.4.4 it shows me that it is in ISSO mode 2. Anyhow Nero wont have anything to do with the CD, it wont open the track or even erase the contents...

So I reformatted again (I dont have alot of time on my hands, I just sacrifice sleep and sanity) back to Win98SE and this morning I installed the old version of Adaptec 4.02c but then that instal hosed up yet Direct CD 3.01 was working so I made another backup using that version of Direct CD.

THE PLAN WHEN I GET HOME TONIGHT IS>

Close the disk on the backup I just made using DCD 3.01 as a CD that is readable in all drives. I believe that is ISO, but I am confused at this point.

Then Install Nero 5.0.4.4 and make a backup using that proggie. I have never made a backup with that software so your hints on what format to burn it in would be helpful.

~~~~~~~BY THE WAY I AM USING CD-R MEDIA AND NOT CD-RW.~~~~~

Ok Wolf your comments have prompted me to ask the following questions. Lets say that I finally get the disc to read and I am able to install ESCD 5 and go about my merry routine. Are you saying that I will be unable to load the following:

"Remove Take Two software from EZCD 5. Remove anti-virus, Norton Utilities and Undelete."

The Take Two feature was one of the main reasons why I "acquired" this program and if it is unusable in 2k then I may as well go over to Nero...

And THC:

""i have had no problems with directCD 5 in 2k at all. The only problem is the UDF layer that directCD 5 uses is different than all other versions but for some reason doesnt auto-install like the old versions did. You just need to get the latest UDF reader from adaptec to make 2k read CDs formatted in DirectCD 5 when it is not installed. I had a similar problem in whistler since it doesnt like directCD 5 much. ""

This was my exact mentatlity and so lastnight I downloaded the latest UDF reader 1.03 from here http://www.roxio.com/en/support/filelist.html

And after I installed it I tried to access the disks and It gave me the "not formatted error".

I am truely interested to know if Nero 5 is going to have a feature that will allow me to image the OS on my computer (much like Take Two)... If this is so then I might just drop this headache and burn the backup in 98SE using Nero and go about my business... Or would I get the same error?

I HATE TO BE LONGWINDED BUT THAT JUST REMINDED ME OF SOMETHING.

My intent is to have 1 backup disk that has all my install files on it. I would for example do a fresh install of WIN2K and then simply insert the backup I made into my standard cd-rom and start installing all my stuff. Is Win2k not apt to handle this type of thing?

Remove CD-RW DMA access and go back to PIO mode for CD-RW to make another attempt at reading that disc.

Take Two software is the culprit. Remove it and EZCD 5 will somehow operate with Windows 2000. A fix has been promised by

Roxio.

Windows 98 and Windows 2000 do not need any software to read UDF 1.5 dics. The Microsoft reader is better.

Check Adaptec Roxio Datebase:

After installing DirectCD my DVD player will not play DVD discs... (Article Number000616-0002):

http://ask.roxio.com/cgi-bin/roxio_tic/s...p;2900=hvwIxd6Z

nP

Windows 2000 installs Windows Media Player 7 and this conflicts with Adaptec software:

Installed Media Player 7 and now I am having problems with my CD Drives. (Article Number000726-0003)

nP

McAfee Virus software, Norton and Undelete software (and some others) conflict with Adaptec EZCD:

STOP error at windows 2000 boot after Direct CD 3.01 installation (Article Number000522-0000)

nP

Direct CD 3.01 is not compatible with Windows 2000:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/...DHCS_MSPSS_tech

_SRCH&SPR=MSALL

http://ask.roxio.com/cgi-bin/roxio_tic/s...mp;2900=wK1mAvE

8vm

You can upgrade to Direct CD 3.03 but more serious problems remain unresolved.

Direct CD 3.01, 3.03 or 5 persume to write UDF formatted CD-R. This violates the OSTA norm, contrevenes to UDF 1.5, and to Windows Device Driver specifications:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/imedia/windowsmedia/sdk/wmdriverreq.asp

Windows 2000 Removable Storage Management will also quash it because "RSM will function with third-party UDF write solutions, but no write-once media is supported".

http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/storage/RSM.htm

Check Windows 2000 Remote Storage Overview document and take note that Remote Storage MAnagement can terminate rogue

applications:

http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/mof/Storage%20Management%20v20.htm

Beware removal of Easy CD Creator in Windows 2000 (Article Number000505-0000) because CDROM and Recorder may no longer work

after removing:

"This problem is caused by an association created in the system registry between these specific Adaptec driver files and the

CD file system drivers for Windows 2000. If the Adaptec driver files are renamed or removed, then the system will loose access

to any CD drive (CD ROM, CD recorder, or DVD)."

nP

For backup of your system files using CD discs, by far the most effective program is "Norton Ghost". For specific backup with

compression filling the size of a CD "Zip Backup to CD" is simple and effective.

Trying Nero 5.0.4.4 (until Nero 5.5 retail comes out) with InCD 2.08 appears to be a good and safe idea.

Ok the disc that I made using Direct CD 3.01 in Win98SE worked in Win2k WITHOUT having to add an ASPI layer or UDF reader.

I installed Easy Cd Creator 5 off of that backup disc and you guessed it I can now read the discs that I created using the program in 98. WHAT A PAIN IN THE REAR!

I have convinced myself that I will keep this program only if I can burn it and have it setup so that I can install the program directly after installing the OS (another words as if it were a retail version...)

Thank to all of you for your suggestions and WOLF for all of those links, made for some interesting reading!

Ok off to tweak Win2k!

Peace out