Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

CyberLink PowerDVD

Okay, I have PowerDVD 2.5 upgraded to version 2.55, which is said to run under Win2k. Well, Im sure it would, but I get this error code: 80070032 Network request is not supported. WTF!!!!!!!!

I'll list my specs below, but it has done this when I wasnt overclocking too. My vid card is on the latest drivers...

Would upgrading to DX 8 cause any problems?

I still have WinDVD for 95/98/NT4 which does work, but I like PowerDVD much better.

Oh, yeah, here's my specs. Might help.

------------------

Whaazzzupppppppppp!

Asus A7V

Duron 600@680

384 MB SDRAM PC133

Samsung 48x CD-ROM

Toshiba 12x DVD-ROM

Zip CD650 USB 4/4/6

Zip 100 USB

Maxtor 20.4 GB ATA100

Voodoo 4 4500 AGP @176 MHz

Guillemot Maxi Sound Fortissimo

SIIG 3 port 1394 PCI Adapter

D-Link DFE-530 10/100 NIC

Creative Cambridge Soundworks FPS1000

MS Intellimouse Optical

Kleer 17-inch @ 85Hz 1152x864x32 desktop

I find Cyberlink's PowerDVD rather shaky, be it versions 2.5, 2.55 or 3.0, in Windows 2k. It easily conflicts with sound cards, aspi drivers and SP1 plus a number of bugs about regional code, hardware acceleration and DMA. The best way to be sure to have it work is to reinstall Windows 2000 with just minimum drivers and install PowerDVD first and then learn what devices and programs create conflicts.

The following steps should help:

A) Go to Inmatrix, get Drive Region Info 1.1 and check if Tohiba DVD is region locked: http://www.inmatrix.com/

B) Go to the Firmware page to get Firmware update for Toshiba: http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/firmware/

C) Apply firmware update to make the Toshiba DVD RPC-1, check with Drive Region Info 1.1

D) Go to Inmatrix, get DVDGenie 3.85 install and configure region selection and PowerDVD controls since it will control DVD playback.

E) Run regedit and since the Toshiba DVD is now RPC-1 find the very first key under line [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft]. It will be anything bizarre like {#"ll or m;-k. Just remove it after exporting for safety.

F) Install PowerDVD and restart.

G) Run DVDGenie and push the Run tab to start PowerDVD and after configuration (some choices are possible only at the beginning, other during play and other after a stop).

WinDVD 2.3 available at Intervideo Website is much more robust and always works well in Windows 2000 with DVDGenie and all Nvidia adapters with a powerful CPU. Matrox cards works best with Cinemaster. The choice of DVD sofware remains closely linked with the kind of graphic adapter and optimization provided by the software.

PowerDVD 3.0

should work better with windows 2000.

Lets face it, for DVD playback you don't have much of a choice. WinDVD is crap.

this might be a good place to start. wink

Please don't post link to ***** here thank

[This message has been edited by SHS (edited 16 March 2001).]

Cardinal, if WinDVD is crap, why can I use that to play DVDs and not PowerDVD? I have a version thats only specified for 95/98/NT4 but programs like that Ive found will run fine under Win2k. I love PowerDVD, but Im not gonna go to the latest version until I know for certain it will work. No sense throwing money away.

Wolf87, does DVDGenie work with 3dfx cards, cause thats what I have, not an nVidia one, and Ive heard DG only works with nVidia cards.

PowerDVD 2.55 and 3.0 has worked fine on my TNT2U, GeForce SDR, and GeForce GTS Pro cards in Win2K. Maybe it has something to do with your video card drivers?

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Just adding ym experiences...

WinDVD didn't display the picture of any DVD, only played the sound. SoftDVD Max played OK, but wouldn't let me change the rating system, so I wasn't allowed to watch my own movies. PowerDVD 2.55 works fine on my system.

-bZj

3DFX cards do not offer motion compensation or ICDT. DVDGenie remains useful for all other settings, region and sound management.

Best DVD playback is 800x600 or 1024x768 for Widescreen Anamorphic, at 120 Hz and 8 bit because DVD always plays at 24 bit. Anything over that creates artifacts, distortion and failure of VGA overlay with no picture.

http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

http://home.clapro.com/widescreen/

http://www.dvdweb.co.uk/information/anamorphic.htm

Hold on Wolf.

8 bit? You don't mean the monitor resolution do you? What exactly do you set to 8 bit?

The Adapter color mode has to be brought down to the lowest possible resolution which is 8 bit so as to free the utmost amount of adapter memory for DVD VGA overlay.

DVD, even with a software decoder, uses a hardware decoder to downstream at very high bandwith directly into any free ram left unused by Adapter color resolution. The DVD video overlay sent into the free video ram is fixed at 24 bit true color.

The higher the Adapter resolution, the lower the DVD quality. Optimal DVD playback would occur with an Adapter at 2 bit color. resolution.

Well the dumb thing still dont work. Even though the GF2 MX isnt listed a supported on my version of WinDVD 1.2 something, it runs just fine. I give up. Ive also done a clean install, no go. Oh well...

I also dropped Power DVD. I had version 2.55 from a bundle with Sony DVD DDU1211 and upgraded to version 3. Windows 2000 was reinstalled two days ago. It worked in both versions only just before I switched to ATA 66 by up[censored] controller software.

That failure would point to Power DVD as not yet compatible with contemporary hardware (some of their files are dated 1998).

WinDVD had no problem at all. A look at the smoke at beginning of Blade Runner and also at vapor in the roof pursuit in The Matrix shows how superior Alpha Blending comes out with WinDVD also with much superior colors.

Still PowerDVD had best control system yet and it is a loss not to be able to compare playing strenghts of each of two programs.