Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cosmosys

looking into linux for my brother

Im looking to install a linux distro on my brothers machine.

the only thing he uses his computer for is image editing, listening to music and surfing the web. Im more than 1500 miles away from him and cant do tech support that often for him. I figure linux would be a better alternative for him than windows.

My question is what linux distro would you suggest I get that would suit his needs.

I would recommend RedHat 9 or Mandrake 9. Both are easy to install, (unless you run into hardware issues particular to your machine) and both come standard with "Gimp" an excellent imaging editing program, "XMMS" a solid and easy to use MP3 player, though you WILL have to install the XMMS-MP3 plugin, and either "Mozilla" or "Galeon" equally capable web browsers. You also can keep in touch with him via "Ximian-Evolution" or "KMail", 2 really good e-mail programs.

Thanks for your help. Its scary thinking about him going online with windows, too much could go wrong. linux will be so much better suited for him.

I do graphics too. Ask your brother for a list of the graphics software he uses. Some programs have no suitable replacements that will run under Linux. (I am still looking for a Linux replacement for Thumbs Plus, an image management program.) Gimp will take a lot of getting used to for a Windows user. (All the functions are in separate little windows, for one thing.) What I'm saying is that you may want to set up a dual boot system rather than getting rid of Win98 altogether. Your brother may not be able to do what he wants to otherwise. 8)