Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Napalm

why is my DOS prompt broken?

My question is: how do I get the DOS prompt in win2k working like it does in win9x? I know wink2k's DOS prompt isn't like win9x, but I should still not be having the problems I am having. For instance, I cannot change to directories the way they are listed. For example, if I want to change to Program Files I have to guess to what it looks like under the 'real' DOS prompt (i.e. the first 6 letters and then '~1'). So to change to Program Files, I have to type in 'cd progra~1'. In addition, whenever I want to run a standard command (i.e. ping), win 2k comes back with an error saying it cannot reconize the command (or something like that). In order to run commands like that, I have to switch to d:\winnt\system32 and run the command. Why is this happening? I mean, the path for commands seems to be right (I didn't change it and it says %System32 among other things). Could it be because I don't have win2k installed under my C-Drive (it's under my D-Drive)??? and finally, how do I enable the doskey so I can execute a command I executed earlier? I don't know if any of these problems have anything in common, but any help on any of these problems would be appreciated. My system specs:

Win2k Professional (SP 1)

PIII 500 (OC)

256 mb RAM

Diamond mx300

Rage128 Pro

Is anything else needed?

Thanks,

For one, use 'cmd' rather than 'command'. This will enable the features of doskey, it's faster, and it may help some of your other problems as well. Like AlecStaar said, you can use quotes to change to paths with spaces. Or, if you like, you can type 'dir /x' to get the short name of it - it's not always the first 6 letters (it usually is, but my Visual Studio directory is MIAF9D~1, so it can vary).

wow, 'cmd' works like a charm. I guess win2k's version of the 'command' program is a little broken. I wonder why 'cmd' and 'command' are 2 different programs (or at least 2 different options passed). Either way, using 'cmd' solves ALL problems. Just remember that for the future. Thanks again for the help ... Alec, thanks for the work around. I think I will do a little 'registry tweakn' my variables. BTW when using the command program putting quotes around a name gives an error (why, I don't know)

Thanks,