Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Son_Gohan

How do I make a bootable Windows 2000 Pro #upgrade# CD?

Shouldn't the upgrade CD already be bootable?

Usually, you throw it in, then just feed it a copy of Win9x/NT as a 'qualifying product', and then go about your business.

If this is not the case, sorry and good luck.

-bZj

This guide is similar, it was provided by DosFreak....its very good and works(I know I created one myself...)

Make a Bootable Win2k SP1 CD:

1. Make a folder on your C: drive. Name it the same as that of your CDROM. Ex: W2PSEL_EN

2. Copy the Windows 2000 CD to the folder.

3. Download Service Pack 1 from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/win2000platform/SP/SP1/NT5/EN-US/sp1network.exe

3. When download is done copy sp1network.exe to your C: drive.

4.Do a Start/run/C:\sp1network.exe -X:C:\SP1

Click OK at the screen where it displays "C:\SP1"

When it's done extracting click OK.

Do a Start/Run/C:\SP1\i386\update\update.exe -s:C:\W2PSEL_EN

When it's done it will say "Integrated install has completed successfully". Click OK.

If it does not say this then you have done something wrong.

5. Download CDRWIN from www.goldenhawk.com. Install CDRWIN.

6. Get the CD-ROM boot sector and CD Marker files from here: http://www.angelfire.com/de2/w2kcd/neededfiles.zip

7. Place the appropriate files from neededfiles.zip into the root directory of W2PSEL_EN.

Place CDROM_NT.5 into the root of the CD.

Place:

CDROM_IP.5 - If you are doing 2000 PRO then place this into the root.

CDROM_IS.5 - If you are doing 2000 SERVER then place this into the root.

CDROM_IA.5 - If you are doing 2000 ADVANCED SERVER then place this into the root.

8. The root of the directory should now contain only these files:

Autorun.inf

cdrom_iX.5

cdrom_nt.5

cdrom_sp.tst

read1st.txt

readme.doc

setup.exe

9. Open CDRWIN and choose the File Backup and Tools option

10. In the BACKUP/TOOL Operation Choose the Build an ISO9660 Image File

11. in FILE BACKUP List click the DIRECTORY button and choose the directory where you copied the

Windows 2000 CD. Click OK. Then click the ADD button. You should see the directory in the big box now.

12. Check the INCLUDE HIDDEN FILES,LONG FILENAMES(JOLIET),INCLUDE SYSTEM FILES,RECURSE SUBDIRECTORIES. Uncheck PRESERVE FULL FILE NAMES.

boxes.

13. For IMAGE FILENAME click the three dots at the right and choose a directory and a filename. Then

click Save. You should see the pathname and the filename of your .ISO in the box.

14. Check the DISABLE VERSION NUMBERS box.

15. Click the ADVANCED OPTIONS button.

16. For Volume Label use the name of the original Windows 2000 CD. Ex: W2PSEL_EN

For Volume Set Name use the bame of the original Windows 2000 CD

Publisher Name: MICROSOFT CORPORATION

PREPARER NAME: MICROSOFT CORPORATION, ONE MICROSOFT WAY, REDMOND WA 98052, (206) 882-8080

17. Choose the BOOTABLE DISC tab.

18. Check the MAKE BOOTABLE DISC box.

19. For MEDIA EMULATION CHOOSE Custom

20. For Image File name use the boot.bin from the neededfiles.zip.

21. For DEVELOPER NAME use MICROSOFT CORPORATION

22. For Load Sector Count use the number 4.

23. Click OK and then START.

24. When it's done open up any CDR burning program that supports .ISO's to burn your IMAGE to CD.

Been there. Done that. I got it to work on an OEM full CD but can't do it on an upgrade CD.

IT WORKED! It seems I was using the wrong burning tool. I had forgotten to turn off PRESERVE FULL FILE NAMES and DISABLE VERSION NUMBERS, so I guesss that's why I couldn't create one bootable CD before.

by the way...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

Been there. Done that. I got it to work on an OEM full CD but can't do it on an upgrade CD.</font>

Ensure you have done EXACTLY as explained. I had to throw 2 CD's just because I had forgotten to uncheck some options.

Did you do it with an upgrade? I forgot to mention that the upgrade CD's I made did boot, but they wanted me to insert a WINDOWS 2000 SP1 CD while installing. Remember, I did succeed with full version CD's.

You sure the .tst file was in the root of the CD? I've never tried to slipstream an upgrade CD but when I first started slipstream I received that error message when I deleted the .tst file.

Well I don't have a .tst file on my upgrade CD. That could be it. Where does it come from. Do I need to get one from a full version CD?

When you perform the slipstream it will place the file in the dir above the i386 directory. In the root of the cd.

Now, this is really weird. I've been able to burn an bootable Win2k CD, even with an integrated SP1. And I've been able to install Windows 2000 without being asked for "Windows 2000 Sp1 CD".

It seems my original windows 2000 pro CD was more rare than I though (a full version :-), non bootable CD :-().

Anyway, thanks all you guys for the posts in this thread. With your help, I've been able to get rid of my old bootable Windows98 CD.