Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Hey guys, what do you think could be improved on Win2k?

Dont mget me wrong, I love it and have no problems other than an occassional sticking dial-up networking.

------------------

Celeron II 566@952 on a Abit BH6 Rev 1.01, 192 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH,

SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, Win98SE

I'd like to see some sort of protection for the registry, to at least bolster it and make it more robust. Obviously it couldn't work like WFP, simply preventing changes. But it could at least prohibit outright corruption and invalid entries being made by install routines and such. Perhaps it could also have a routine in which it would scan for references made useless by the removal of software -- kind of a beefed up RegClean.

Smaller installation footprint, and policy inheritance functions from the OU level to make the new super-ultra policy manager a little easier to assign objects to.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

i would also like to see better refresh rate support. It is a pain for people that don't have nvidia cards so they can't use the nvrefresh fix or they have to edit the registry themselves. I would also like to see a built in firewall with advanced features such as port mapping and NAT not the poo poo one in whistler right now. Also a remote access feature would be nice so the need for 3rd party programs isnt needed. And lastly a more robust install program allowing more direct customisation of the things you want to install and the things you don't in the install program. There is too much crap installed by defualt and it would be nice to be able to take out a lot of the crap, like IE for people that don't use it.

For servers, Microsoft could learn a few lessons and steal some of the good bits from UNIX:

For example:

+ GUI-less operations mode (remote admin tools and terminal server still enabled, but also commandline versions of ALL admin functions, particularly network config and printer admin).

+ Replace the fairly braindead Service Control Manager with a structured system like init where you can create service startup and shutdown dependancies and different 'runlevels'.

+ Give *everything* a admin-friendly COM interface so that you can access it via the scripting host. Oh, define a authorization sandbox interface for local COM controls while you are at it to prevent total virus devistation. Either that or make sure that the COM to NET conversion is complete as soon as possible (ha!).

+ Force OEMs to preload XP with the NTFS filesystem, even on consumer machines.

+ With the new disconnect session thing and an improved version of RunAs, there should be no reason for Administrator logins. Do whatever necessary to discourage normal user operations as Administrator.

+ (Radical, Unlikely) Dump the registry for any possible user-editable function, as well as application-specific settings. Instead store the information in XML files with a publically documented schema.

This would allow applications to be more portable and also would give administrators great control over app config and security (the current system of Registry permissions is an undocumented mess).

+ (Even more radical and unlikely) Dump all Windows RPC in favor of SOAP/SSL running on a documented port that is not 80.

The ability to actually use the speed transfers of ata66/100 on a normal basis. That way, you wouldnt need to get scsi for super speed. I know sp2 has the actual fix for ata100, but I'd like to see Windows and programs take advantage of the hard drive's higher transfer rate.