Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Question about backing up

I once backed up my entire C: and D: drives, including the system state and registry.... EVERYTHING.

I did this under the notion that I could re-install Windows 2000, then just restore the backup... restart and everything would be exactly as it was before the re-install. Boy was I wrong.

I got all kinds of errors and freezes and blue screens. It just totally fubarred my system. So my question is this.

Is there a way to back up your system so that when you reinstall your os (windows2k) you don't have to go through and install all your programs over again, change all your settings again etc? Basically get it how it was before the reinstall by simply restoring a backup.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!

------------------

---Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.---

Pentium II 450@504 4.5X112

256MB PC100 SDRAM

Diamond Viper V770 Ultra

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Seagate 13.6 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Western Digital 13.4 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Quantum 8.3 Gig

36X Acer CD Rom

Viewsonic PS790 19" Sweet as Heck Monitor

3Com NIC

Lexmark 5700 Printer

http://sandoval.dynip.com

There are only 2 ways that I have done full restores:

1. Some sort of imaging program (Drive Copy, Ghost, etc.)

2. Install to a another directory (instead of WINNT I use WINNT2 or WIN2K), then restore everything from before and delete the second install if needed.

I haven't seen any successful restores on top of a new install. Usually, I wind up just doing a temp install to get the backup up and running (or use a network boot floppy so a tape drive on another server can do the restore) and then restore the old install to its original location.

------------------

Regards,

clutch