New features for Debian Edu 7.1+edu0~b1 released 2013-08-22
These are the release notes for Debian Edu / Skolelinux 7.1+edu0~b1,
based on Debian with codename "Wheezy".
About Debian Edu and Skolelinux
Debian Edu, also known as Skolelinux, is a Linux distribution
based on Debian providing an out-of-the box environment of a
completely configured school network. Immediately after installation a
school server running all services needed for a school network is set
up just waiting for users and machines being added via GOsaÂ², a
comfortable Web-UI. A netbooting environment is prepared using PXE, so
after initial installation of the main server from CD or USB stick all
other machines can be installed via the network. The provided school
server provides LDAP database and Kerberos authentication service,
centralized home directories, DHCP server, web proxy and many other
services. The desktop contains more than 60 educational software
packages and more are available from the Debian archive, and schools
can choose between KDE, Gnome, LXDE and Xfce desktop environment.
1. <URL: http://www.skolelinux.org/ >
2. <URL: http://people.skolel...ection____.html >
This is the sixth test release based on Debian Wheezy. Basically this
is an updated and slightly improved version compared to the Squeeze
/!\ Alpha based installations should reinstall or downgrade the
versions of gosa and libpam-mklocaluser to the ones used in this
beta release. Both alpha and beta0 based installations should
reinstall or deal with gosa.conf manually; there are two options:
(1) Keep gosa.conf and edit this file as outlined on the mailing
list. (2) Accept the new version of gosa.conf and replace both
contained admin password placeholders with the password hashes
found in the old one (backup copy!). In both cases every user need
to change their their password to make sure a password is set for
CIFS access to their home directory.
3. <URL: http://lists.debian....8/msg00127.html >
* Added ssh askpass packages to default installation, to ensure ssh
work also without a attached tty.
* Add the command-not-found package to the default installation to
make it easier to figure out where to find missing command line
tools. Please note, that the command 'update-command-not-found'
has to be run as root to actually make it useful (internet access
* Adjusted the USB stick ISO image build to include every tool
needed for desktop=xfce installations.
* Adjust thin-client-server task to work when installing from USB
stick ISO image.
* Made new grub artwork (changed png from indexed to RGB format).
* Minor cleanup in the CUPS setup.
* Make sure that bootstrapping of the Samba domain really happens
during installation of the main server and adjust SID handling to
cope with this.
* Make Samba passwords changeable (again) via GOsaÂ².
* Fix generation of LM and NT password hashes via GOsaÂ² to avoid
empty password hashes.
* Adapted Samba machine domain joining to latest change in the
smbldap-tools Perl package, fixing bugs blocking Windows machines
from joining the Samba domain.
* KDE fails to understand the wpad.dat file provided, causing it to
not use the http proxy as it should.
* Chromium also fails to use the proxy when using the KDE desktop
(using the KDE configuration).
Where to get it
To download the multiarch netinstall CD release you can use
* http://ftp.skolelinu... edu0~b1-CD.iso
* rsync -avzP ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/wheezy/debian-edu-7.1+edu0~b1-CD.iso
The MD5SUM of this image is: 1e357f80b55e703523f2254adde6d78b
The SHA1SUM of this image is: 7157f9be5fd27c7694d713c6ecfed61c3edda3b2
To download the multiarch USB stick ISO release you can use
* rsync -avzP ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/wheezy/debian-edu-7.1+edu0~b1-USB.iso
The MD5SUM of this image is: 7a8408ead59cf7e3cef25afb6e91590b
The SHA1SUM of this image is: f1817c031f02790d5edb3bfa0dcf8451088ad119
How to report bugs
Second beta release (beta 1) of Debian Edu/Skolelinux based on Debian Wheezy
No replies to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users