Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
d0x

Help! What does this mean?

While trying to defrag Win2k Pro with it's native defrag program, I get this message when i click on "Analyze"

Application popup: DfrgNtfs.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x0100c8e1" referenced memory at "0x115e8132". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

Click on CANCEL to debug the program

what can i do?

hmm..

this is just a shot in the dark, but if you have a SCSI drive, you can't defrag a SCSI drive, am I right? I don't know for sure...

if you have SCSI, that's the problem...

Umm, yes, you can defrag a SCSI drive. First, I would just reboot. Second, if that didn't work, see if there are updated drivers for your hard drive controller. If it's an outboard (not built-in) controller, then go to the site of the maker of the unit. If it is built-in, then go to the motherboard manufacturer. Try these first, as they are simple solutions.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

No SCSI.

Nevermind though... I ran chkdsk and discovered that my MFT was screwed up. After fixing the errors, it's running beautifully now smile

d0x.

You are worrying too much

Quote:
posted by d0x

Application popup: DfrgNtfs.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x0100c8e1" referenced memory at "0x115e8132". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

Click on CANCEL to debug the program

This is just a "Application Instruction Error" (like a bug in a program) It is NOT your RAM.

DfrgNtfs.exe prolly had some little bug in it while you were defragging and snatched the bug and said "shit" hehe and displayed the error message

As long as it works ok from then on, don't worry about it.