Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kyosho46vr

Memory Enhancements??

I have 256 megs of ram and I am wondering if there are any tweaks or suggestions to enhance system performance?

TIA Ned

I suppose you have Windows NT or 2000 for using 256 MB ram.

If you have one of them, so don't worry.

Windows NT or 2000 manage very well the memory.

------------------

DiDInSiDe

Yes I run W2k , I use a lot of graphical programs for web design and wish to increase performance while using programs such as Corel Draw and Photo Paint.

Ned

Get more ram. Thouse programs can eat up a Gig in no time. Also duel CPUs help a lot since thouse programs support it.

go on for SCSI!! U2W or U160 and dedicate a disk for your swap files. That helps! especially if you're working on huge files.

also 512Mo seems a reasonable option too...

[This message has been edited by youhou (edited 05 October 2000).]

There are many ways different ways to tweak the ram that you have. there are a few programs like winboost 2000 and memturbo that you can get that will help with ram intensive programs.(memturbo defrags your ram so you have more to use.) You can find demo's of each of these programs at shareware.com i believe. There are also other ways to boost ram. If you run pc100 ram you can go into your bios and set the ram to a latency of 2 which will make the read/write time quite a bit faster (most motherboards automatically put the ram at a latency of 3. Putting it on 2 does not hurt your system at all if you are thinking that it might. Also your motherboard might have an option to set the ram at maximum performance which helps a bit. If you have pc133 ram do not change either of these settings because your system will not boot up the next time you restart it. pc133 cant handle a latency of 2 and cant be set at maximum performance.

The easiest way by far is to just buy more ram. Two processors would help a lot too in your case it sounds like.

Quote:
Originally posted by Goronok:
If you run pc100 ram you can go into your bios and set the ram to a latency of 2 which will make the read/write time quite a bit faster (most motherboards automatically put the ram at a latency of 3. Putting it on 2 does not hurt your system at all if you are thinking that it might. Also your motherboard might have an option to set the ram at maximum performance which helps a bit. If you have pc133 ram do not change either of these settings because your system will not boot up the next time you restart it. pc133 cant handle a latency of 2 and cant be set at maximum performance.

It has nothing to do with PC100 or PC133. It depends whether you bought CAS2 or CAS3 RAM. CAS2 can handle latencies of 2 and higher, and CAS3 can handle latencies of 3 and higher. My guess is that you tried this with CAS3 PC133 RAM -- most PC133 modules I've seen are CAS3, and you need to specifically ask for CAS2 RAM. I'm currently using CAS2 PC133 RAM from Crucial at 133 MHz with a latency of 2 and it works fine here.