Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Win2k and Linux Red Hat 6.0

I think this is fair game for this forum.

My buddy has Red Hat 6.0... and for a project that I have to do for my computer science 397b class, we have to set up a Linux server with Novell Netware client for Linux.

Anyways, to get a head start, it would be nice to start learning Linux here at home. Well, my buddy (who is my lab partner) has a copy and I would like to install it, but I don't want to run just Linux. Is there a way I can dual boot between Win2k and Linux? It's probably complicated because of the severe differences in the OSs. But, I figured I'd ask.

------------------

---Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.---

Pentium II 450@504 4.5X112

128MB PC100 SDRAM

Diamond Viper V770 Ultra

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Seagate 13.6 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Western Digital 13.4 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Quantum 8.3 Gig

36X Acer CD Rom

Viewsonic PS790 19" Sweet as Heck Monitor

3Com NIC

Lexmark 5700 Printer

http://sandoval.dynip.com

You will, of course, need to throw Linux on a separate partition, as it will be reformatted, Linux-style. From my experience, I would say don't expect to use this partition while in Win2K, or vice versa. Although, I believe you can mount DOS drives from Linux, so the converse may be true [though, NTFS is probably a no-go for Linux].

The thing you should watch for, is LILOboot. I hate the Linux bootloader. all you get is a LILOboot%> prompt, and you have to type DOS hella quick, or into Linux you go. It's no were near as nice as the Win2K bootloader, with a list of OSes, and a counting time limit. I would suggest putting Linux on first, then Win2K, just as one would with Win9x, but there are sure to be ways around this.

-bZj

So would i just install Linux, and then repair the boot sector of Win2k?

I just don't see how it will set it up in a dual boot automatically

nevermind... i somehow just skipped over Down8's reply. Thanx guys!!!