Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MoreLight

For IT Professionals Only

Here is a hard one. I'm running a fast ethernet domain with Advanced Server: DHCP, router, switch, member servers and workstations. My PDC is also running a DFS root and links. One of the links is the Pioneer DVD 115 shared to all members of the domain. That part works no problem.

All computers have next gen video cards and PIII so they are capable of playing dvd files using the appropriate software. I have ASUS DVD 2000 that came with a 6800 deluxe. The dvd soft was installed from the DFS drive on all the computers.

It is my opinion that when I put a dvd disc in the shared drive that the dvd software on the member computers should be able to access and play the disc as if it was on a local computer. Why buy a dvd drive for each member computer when I should be able to share one drive on the network?

My problem is that the ASUS software defaults to a local drive and won't let me select a network drive, even though the software was installed on a shared network drive. (It should have set that drive as the default, and then I wouldn't have to ask this damn question).

My actual question that I think would resolve my problem is: Is there a registry key I can edit that would force the ASUS software to use the shared DVD drive as the default drive, instead of a local drive? I was looking around the registry, but couldn't find anything that looked promising.

Thanks for any assistance. frown

hmm, try looking for an ini file that says something otherwise try finding another DVD playing program that will work. If all else fails you will have to contact asus

I believe that it is a requirement of DVD copyright licensing that the software/drivers only work on a local drive.

The only OS that I know of that can host the remote dvd as if it was a local device is QNX. I know this because my brother wrote the code to do just that.

:}

Two things:

Try DVD Genie to change the default drive.

Buy a Sigma Designs netstream 2000 card that is designed to stream DVD over a network. If the first one doesn't work the second one will.

Or copy the .VOB's using CladDVD to the hard drive and then play them over the network from there or load up some software to play DVD's on the source drive. Let it start playing the movie. Now pause it and try to watch the DVD from the client computer.

Great suggestions everybody. I tried using the DVD Genie method, but even with all its tricks, it still doesn't have a setting for the default drive to be used.

That is pretty surprising considering that with todays technology, some people must have multiple DVD on their systems. Think I'll contact the programmer and ask him how it might be done.

Tried posting in the ASUS forum, but no luck their so far.

The Netstream sounds like an immediate hardware solution, but would like to used existing hardware before purchasing something that sounds expensive.

Divx does work, been using it already, but want the higher quality of DVD. If you've got fast ethernet, why not make the most of it?

While I'm asking, does anyone know a good multi-casting program that handles this type of media? Once the streaming problem is finished, multi-casting is the next thing on the list.

Thanks everybody.