Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sk

Possible to backup registry in Win2K, ahead of testing dubio

Is it possible to backup registry in Win2K, ahead of testing dubious applications?

I read in the MS Knowledge base something about the "System Hive" that consists of 4 files (SAM, Security, System and Software) located in ..\winnt\system32\config\

Is it possible just to make a simple backup of those 4 files or the complete "Config" directory before installing a program and restoring them again afterwards, if the application turns out to jam the system or parts thereof (like hibernating and ECDC4, witch is just a function you loose otherwise the PC runs fine).

The system infiltration is impossible to cure manually, it is usually relatively easy to remove the files that belong to the application and should you miss a couple it doesn’t really matter that much.

SK

1) Start > Run > regedit

2) Registry > Export Registry File/Import Registry File

-bZj

Actually that doesn't work for me. When I get a corrupted file, it is almost always the Software file. Even then, when I do try to import my old registry file I get all kinds of errors telling me that some keys are currently in use and they cannont be altered.

Unfortunately this method doesn't work for me. frown Hopefully I can find a method that does work so I don't have to reinstall Win2K everytime the Software file gets corrupted. Maybe that is just me though. frown

------------------

System Specs:

Asus P2B-D

Dual PIII 700MHz

512MB PC100 RAM

Elsa GeForce2 GTS 64MB Video Card

Promise Ultra66 Controller

WD 15.3 GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

WD 20.5GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

Asus 50x CD-ROM

Sony 4x4x24 CD-RW

SB Live! Platinum

Razor Boomslang 2000 USB Mouse

Wacom 6x9 Intuous Art Tablet

SuperMicro SC-750A Case w/ 400 Watt PS

I actually install everything to a solid configuration, then use a software like Norton Ghost or Powerquest Drive Image (latest versions, 6.5 and 3.01 respectively, with support to NTFS 5) to get an image of the system partition.

Apps and games are in the Data partition.

If something goes wrong, replace the System partition from the image and delete the Offending App folder in the Data partition, and u're up and running again!

Thanks to everyone for replying.

Gramaglia, is Norton Ghost or Powerquest capable of making a backing up of selected files? Cause, my c drive is 60 GB and half of it is data that cannot be deleted. That's also why I thourght that backing up 'only' the System files would be a better idea.

...and I'm still waiting for a qualified answer to the question wether or not it is possible to backup and restore the Config directory.

SK

Yes it is but you have to be able to access the NTFS partition in DOS/Linux to copy over the files.

sk: here's how I do it (although it's easier if you have a dual-boot).

First, I use the built in backup program and use the 'Emergency Repair Disk' feature which backs up all registry hives to the \Winnt\Repair\Regbak directory.

When I need to restore to a previous registry state I dual boot into Windows ME, and delete all files in the \Winnt\System32\Config folder. I then move everything from the \Repair\Regbak folder into the \Config folder, except for the file 'ntuser.dat' which goes into the \Documents and Settings\Administrator\ folder (the only user profile I use).

If you don't have dual-boot, I think you'll need to safe-boot from CD or floppy and use the recovery console.