Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

3dmark2000 and Win2k: ANYONE ABLE TO GET THE 64 MEG TEST TO

If so please list your card type and memory size, whether or not you have the SP1 installed and your video cards driver version. Thx

------------------

***TRUST YOUR TECHNOLUST***

Anyone?

------------------

Celeron 300a@464 on a Abit BH6 Rev 1.01, 192 Pc100, Matrox G400 32 SH,

SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other

odds and ends smile

Wish I could help ya dude!

unfortunately my V3 2000 doesn't support 64mb textures though... Maybe my new V5 will? We will see then...

------------------

brainsoft, Xi Base Webmaster; JJR512.com Co-Administrator.

Xi Base/JJR512 ActiveList: 83320323.

"I don't know how I got here, I was only looking for the washroom."

I have 2 systems. One is Celron 333 @ 413, 256 Ram on Matsonic 7070S board and TNT2 M64 (32Megs) . On this system I can run that test with NO problem.

The second system is Duron 600 & CL GTS (32 ram), 256 ram the stupid test doesn't even start frown I mean as soon as I start 3DMark the whole system just locks up under 98 AND 2000. Nothing else locks up, just this test.

Both systems run under WIn2k + Sp1.

3D Mark 2000 with the latest patch (1.01), won't run well on Win2k. I have no problems running 3D Mark on win98. But Win2k detects my cpu as a 8 mhz (it's a 850 Thunderbird ;.)

So my score is about 2000-3000 lower in win2k than win98.

I've seen severel benchmarks with the same result.

Super soudn like a reinstall of win2k is in order. my 3dmark2000 score is about 100 points lower than win98, no big deal for me smile

------------------

odds and ends smile

My best friend has a Cantek overclocked machine with a GeForce2 32MB adapter (latest Det 3 released drivers) and 3DMark2000 would die on the 64MB texture test - until he upgraded his MOTHERBOARD mem from 128MB to 256MB.

For whatever reason, this additional RAM allowed the test to complete.

Ack... Forgot to add, he's running Win2K, SP1.

HTH.

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

[This message has been edited by ByronT (edited 22 August 2000).]

3dmark 2000 tests on whistler with det 3 drivers are real high higher than 98 and 2k

well mine doesnt die on the 64 meg test it just skips it and in the results says I dont have enough texture memory. for some reason no matter what apeture I set the bios to, wink only allows me to have 45 megs of textures. win98 would give me like over 100 megs

------------------

odds and ends smile

i have a celeron 366/128mb/voodoo banshee 16mb on an intel mu440ex mobo and 3dmark2k's 64mb texture test runs fine for me.....

slower then with my 32mb vidcard, an s3 savage4, but it still runs.......

and i actually get about 50-100 more 3dmaks in win2k then i ever got in win98 with the banshee

the savage4 has gawd awful win2k drivers and i get from 300-400 less then in win98

Ok guys I forgot to ask, the ones who have gotten it to work. Are you running the final eta of win2k or the retail or the OEM version

------------------

odds and ends smile

it is not just your drivers...Win2K RTM and SP1 have ****ty directdraw routines (released prematurely in my opinion and downright dirty pool on MS part). Installing either DX8 (beta 140) or running a beta of Whistler (which I am sure has already been upgraded with the new DX routines) will show you that on the same system with the same hardware, software, and drivers, your machine can exceed W98 performance under W2K.

So don't blame savage, or nvidia, or 3dfx...*all* W2K display drivers are crippled by the RTM/SP1 OS itself...

under DXbeta8 140, my W2K machine runs 3Dmark 33% faster, screen redraws 10x+ faster, etc. etc.

:}

Hey Dragon, I installed dx8 build 140 for win2k and after that 3dmark2000 would cause a memory dump and reboot during the benchmark. Any ideas on that one?

------------------

odds and ends smile

Just to add my opinion!

My system used to run the 64meg test, but now doesn't. Don't ask me why. The only change is an update to the agp driver and installation of the 6.18 detonators.

System is:

Athlon 800

ASUS K7V (1007 Bios)

Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS 32Mb

192Mb RAM

Win2k SP1

SB Live (Liveware 3.0)

blah blah blah...

However, I also managed to get AGP 4x running now, but it doesn't really make any difference to my 3Dmark scores. Got 4334 in Win2k. Haven't finished configuring Win98se to try it there. Must be some reason its slower.

Aperture size is set to 128mb, but the 64Mb Texture test won't run. No idea why.

Don't know if thats of any help.

evil Homer

**Whoops, that should 192Mb**

[This message has been edited by evil Homer (edited 24 August 2000).]

As soon as I installed the D3 drivers, 3dmark would not run the 64mb test either. I think the truth is that it *should* only run on a machine with 64mb on board video memory, so this doesn't bother me or my scores.

pr-man, are you running v1.1 of 3DMark2000? It was released specifically to address W2K issues.

If you are, the other possibility is that your system's overclocking may be a problem here. I have heard a few reports of DX8betas not like o/c. That may just be that your system is now pushed "beyond" the limit that was safe before now that your card's acceleration features are fully realized.

Have you noticed the 2D speedups?

If turning it down a notch doesn't help, let us know what the error messages are and that might help.

Since my mobo is going south, I *might* not be the best person to compare crash results with...hehe

Right, I've just fixed Win 98 on my dual boot machine.

And the 64Mb test runs. So it has got to be something to do with Win2k's Det3 drivers.

Between the two systems, everything is the same apart from obviously the o/s version, and their respective different drivers.

Hardware is the same, 3Dmark 1.1 is the same.

I personally am not that bothered about it.

smile

evil Homer

Yes I am running rev 1.1 and I tried the test with my system not overclocked and running dx7 and still no go. I think the problem is that win2k's GART driver does not allow the use of agp apetures over 32 megs because if I set the apeture size in win98 to 128 megs 3dmark2000 shows I have like 98 megs of texture memroy but If I do the same thing in win2k it only shows 45 megs of texture memory and funny thing is if I chaneg the apeture size the amount of texture memory s\shown never changes LOL. Any ideas guys?

------------------

odds and ends smile

go into 3dmark2000 and click on system info and then your graphics card tab

------------------

odds and ends smile

my 32mb geforce 256/DDR (CLAP) is showing 37,696 for video memory and 65,334 for texture memory....so mine seems correct, but the 64mb test still doesn't run under W2K/D3. My AGP aperture is at 64. I have tested 128. I will try 256 and pass on the results.

Anyone else have any ideas?

------------------

odds and ends smile