Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bobbinbrisco

Linux Vs Windows

Will Linux be the next big thing?

i think so as the OS is an open source code and more and more people and computer vendors want it for its stability and reliablilitly.

it's really annoying when some people have never heard of any other "operating system" apart from windows.. arrghhh

it's already a big thing, and becomes even more so with each day...

and linux does not have stability or reliability problems, it is stable as a rock,

and the majority of the worlds web servers are run on *nix

recently there was an influx of great commercial applications to linux platform, for example from corel, softimage ports its softaware to linux...etc, currenttly what linux lacks, is being a gaming platform

there are a lotta games that are ported or are being ported right now..and pretty soon vmvare (which is kind of an emulator ) thatll let let you run win9x or win2k under linux, will probably support opengl

I wouldn't say Corel "ported" or "recently" put its programs in the Linux arena, as Corel has had their own version of Linux for a while now [one of the better ones, along with SuSE].

I also wouldn't say that Linux "will be" or "is" the next big thing, as it serves its own purpose [i.e. Internet servers and fun for people with a programming background (techies that can write their own drivers if they need to)].

It is growing stronger each day, but that is due mostly to MS Backlash® wink. Linux is still not ready for the simple home user [i.e. your mom], if only because it doesn't support most of the home user appliances [hell, they just got DVDs to work, and have very recently come under fire for doing so].

Stability is one of Linux's main selling points, but most home users [MS's bread and butter] don't leave their computers on for 3 months at a time, they turn them off at night, and back on when they need them during the day. The other selling point being security, but, once again, how likely is it that a home user will get hacked? especially when most people still dial-up and get a new IP, and turn off thier computers at night. And, if Linux does get used more, it will have hackers exploit its weaknesses more. I see Linux's future as a server and firewall box, as far as the home user is concerned. Self contained, embedded in a little box just this side of your new xDSL/Cable connection.

Gosh, this kinda turned into an essay, didn't it? I swear, every time I write a really long post, NT Comp's servers go down...

My pennies,

-bZj laugh

PS: VMWare isn't exactly an emulator, it lets you run virtual machines, so you can split your processor [and memory, etc.], and actually run multiple operating systems at once. I haven't yet tried it, but it looks promissing, if not just plain fun [if you got the room and the urge to play].

------------------

- brian@infinitejones.com

Code:
==================             ===================Home built system:             Also, just for fun:Soyo SY-7VCA                   AST Bravo LC 4/66d[VIA T82C694X]                 Intel 486/66MHz CPU[onboard sound]                40MB RAM [2x16, 2x4]PIII 500E [flip chip]          500 MB Conner HddPNY 128MB PC100 RAM            3 1/2, 5 1/4, 2x CDStealth III S540               3com Etherlink II3com Etherlink III             Adaptec AHA-1545 SCSIQuantum Fireball 10.3GB Hdd    [to host some files on:]HP A4331D 20" Monitor          1.3GB internal SeagateWin2K Pro [v5.00.2195, SP-1]   2 2GB external Seagates[format => clean install]      Windows 95 [v4.00.1111]Norton AntiVirus 2000          pcAnywhere 9.2Covad 768kbps sDSL [shared]    [so I can leave it in the closet]

first i didnt say it vmware actually was an emulator did i?

second..linux is right now primarily used as server boxes yes..but all the big dists work very hard on making everything more userfriendly all the time, both thru adding an all the time more userfriendly gui and making the documentation more userfriendly.

and to say that stability isnt important for the homeuser..cmon getta grip =)

and where did anyone talk about corel or corel porting stuff? have nice espresso down8 =)

[This message has been edited by nagual (edited 16 August 2000).]

As one of the previous posts says Linux has it's own market at the moment.

Can anyone remember a year or so ago when everybody in the Linux community said that Linux would make the break onto the home users PC.

It just hasn't happened.

From a networked point of view Linux is great.

Running a web server under WindowsNT 4 was bad at the best of times, UNIX was your only other option.

But from a home user point of view they simply aren't ready for Linux no more than they are ready for WindowsNT.

The home user is used to going out and purchasing the latest application or game, slamming it into their PC and off they go - At the present time they simply can't do this with Linux.

Another issue is technical support.

With so many variations of Linux around and with so many builds of some modules available, the job of a technical support person trying to give support to the home user would be a nightmare.

That is why most of the big computer vendors are reluctant to offer Linux as a home OS.

Yes Linux is stable, but so is Windows 2000.

I am yet to crash my home system since the installation of the final gold code.

The bottom line is that Linux is around now and will be around for ever, if it wants to get into the home computer market it has to start convincing all games manufacturers to port their games over - No point in just a few as the user will always want to play that game that isn't support in Linux.

Corel were kind of forced to port their software over, mainly because of their lack of market in Windows based applications.

Their office package lacks some of the features of others and Corel Draw, once considered the best of the drawing packages simply can't hold onto that crown anymore.

------------------

PIII 650 Coppermine, ABit BE6-II, 640MB PC100 RAM (Hyundai), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA66 22GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Windows 2000 Only

well, maybe linux kernel 2.4 (which finally has USB support, and XFree 4.x will make linux an OS suitable for home users.

Until now, x-windows didn't have native OpenGL support (which is vital for developers).Also, adding full support for

True Type will certainly help Wordperfect docs look nicer...

===============================

Linux Gurus: Sorry If I sound like a Linux Newbie...I'm still one of them :-/

big countries like China are trying to move all their copmuter system into linux as it is open source code. y? because since america has MS which 90% of the population use, they can be able to hack into the network of countries who are using MS products since they know the code. but with linux companies NAD countires can modify it to suit their own needs especially security.

linux CAN be a gaming platform as quake I, II, & III arena has a version for linux.

Cheese nagual-

I wasn't trying to contradict you, just explain more for people who hadn't heard of VMWare. Just because my reply was under yours, doesn't mean I was directing all my comments at you. I was just adding to the conversation.

I also didn't say that stability wasn't important for the home user, just that the majority of BSODs are easily traced and fixed, and are not a huge price to pay for ultimate compatibility.

Audi 5000,

-bZj

Stability is relative to the user. So many people like to point out that Linux is sooo stable, and that every (or almost every) MS OS is not. Most of the instability can be attributed to user error. If you haven't noticed, the experience of the average Linux user is far greater than that of the average Win9X user. In addition, you can further enhance the stability of a given OS by using properly tuned drivers and stable applications. They go a long way to "making" the OS stable. Most will admit that these drivers and apps have been a long way coming, and that most are tweaked by the Linux community, a league of seasoned power users, to get the performance that they require. I know that when I was setting up a Linux box on my home network, I was using Samba (2.0.5a I believe), I had a helluva time getting it to communicate with my NT Server due to the password encryption implemented ever since NT SP3 and Win95 OSR2. I did get it work with encrypted functionality, but I did notice quite a few people recommending that you *disable* authentication encryption (not a good thing). Another time, I tried to change the monitor on the machine (Mandrake 6) and I wound up trashing the install trying to update the sync settings. With Win2K/NT/9x, changing monitors isn't even an issue, all you need is desk space. smile Does this "functionality" compromise driver stability in Windows? Is this possible compromise worth it? Well, I would rather have the option of crashing a machine, then reinstalling the driver than having to go through a ton of documentation, compatibility charts, and 4 other newsgroups just to see if someone got my monitor to work with a similar hardware combination. NT/2K and 9X OSes are much easier to maintain at all levels of the spectrum, period. Eventually, Linux will be up there too. But at what cost? What about all those "features" that Windows users take for granted? Like plugging in a different monitor (plug and play) and having it work without a bunch of configuration? Will those things make the Linux OS a little more fragile in the quest to be more like Windows? Only time will tell.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

[This message has been edited by clutch (edited 21 August 2000).]

Linux well never be next big thing at less not for customers.

1: 99% of time you have compile or even recompile device drivers & some app's for each ver of new Linux + you better have all developer stuff install or get compile error.

2: 2D Display fonts look like crap v Windows ever crank I it up 14 or 16 point fonts.

now the OS need major work in that area

hell even BeOS look better then this.

3: Linux had no standerd

4: Let get real here why all diff distributions that have no standerd.

I like the one from corel I all so like mandrake.

corel more like windows ONE GUI.

mandrake has to much useless stuff but very nice installer.

One thing I real hate is netscape it e-mail & news reader & it fonts plus it is most crash pron web browers I have ever seen, for love of god MS plaese port IE to Linux hehe.

Well next maybe it will be Amiga or QNX

By the way for thoses who don't know QNX will free very soon, to bad Steve Jobs got his head up this @#$ being Mac OS10 can run on x86 CPU but Steve said no what but whip he is.

The BIGGEST Problem with other OS is the lack of device drivers for the hardware other that it petty much a useless OS.

1. down8 : cheers =)

2. i think linux Will become bigger all the time due to the fact that once you know linux its a very good WORKstation and in a couple of years prolly a good gameingos as well..and i also believe that ppl are getting tired of ms bull****ing us all the time AND being divide into 2 different companies. as more and more ppl will be online all the time through cheap and high bandwidht connections they will also need more and more safety, which windows just cantgive you.

finally, i agree, win2k isnt bad at all and my main workstation os at the time =)

big companies like dell, compaq and many other vendors are suporting linux. companies are trying to make linux more user friendly so that not just ONE company can dominate the market and stop innovation coming into this fast pace computer era.

big companies like dell, compaq and many other vendors are suporting linux. companies are trying to make linux more user friendly so that not just ONE company can dominate the market and stop innovation coming into this fast pace computer era.

IMHO, Linux/Unix will never be 'mainstream' among users.

BUT...I hope it keeps making inroads. The better to keep good ol' Microsoft on its toes! wink

------------------

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935