Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

WindowsME and horrible memory leaks, does anyone not have th

Im still running Win2k pro on my main machine but am still testing WinME on a second machine. the Winme machine has 192 megs of sdram and after leaving winme final just running for like 5 hours I have 0% of physical ram left.

WindowsME is a complete mess of code.

It's internal workings are based mainly on the Win95 code, which in turn has it's roots firmly placed in DOS.

WinME will be the usual memory leaking beast because of it's design.

I really don't see what all the fuss about WinME is.

It's going to be a £60 upgrade - A far simpler upgrade to your Win98 installation would be IE 5.5 and Media Player 7 - Job done.

Of the two machines I installed WinME on, both ran out of resources at about the same rate as Win98.

------------------

PIII 650 Coppermine, ABit BE6-II, 640MB PC100 RAM (Hyundai), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA66 22GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Windows 2000 Only

I've been running WinME on my second machine for almost a week, and have come a painful conclusion--this thing is ****ing slow!

Maybe it's my old harddrive in it...but my 486 DX2 66mhz 20MB RAM ran Win98SE faster than my PIII 500 128 ran WinMe

yeah, curiosity killed the cat here too..

i just wanted to see what winme was like, after about like 3 hours playing with it i quickly realized it wasn't worth my time and popped win2k back in smile

I too am seeing the usual memory leaks, which I am counteracting with MemTurbo - seems to keep the system running more smoothly, just as it does in Win2k and Win98SE. Funny though, on my Voodoo3 2000 AGP, using the exact same drivers as I do under 98SE (latest/not-neccesarily greatest beta build), I am actually getting better performance and frame rates while playing games (or at least under Redstorm's Rainbow 6: Rogue Spear and it's mission pack, Urban Operations using WinME..Go figure..

ANYHOW, if you havent tried MemTurbo, you may want to give it a shot - i've been using it for over a year now and it has help things a lot on the 9x series, as well as anything NT Based...

Devildog

Win Me is my 3rd boot option and it runs great but i don't ever run it for very long. I use it to play a game every now and then a nd i t does the job better than 98 or 2k. My primary OS right now is Whisler because it is more stable and reliable than W2K SP1. I have never left Win Me going for more than 30 mins so the mem leaks are not a prob. Also don't have a whole mess of programs installed just games and a tnt2 overclocking program.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot Windows 2000 Pro 2195 / Windows Whistler Pro 2250 / Windows Millennium Final

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs PC133 Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

Win Me is my 3rd boot option and it runs great but i don't ever run it for very long. I use it to play a game every now and then a nd i t does the job better than 98 or 2k. My primary OS right now is Whisler because it is more stable and reliable than W2K SP1. I have never left Win Me going for more than 30 mins so the mem leaks are not a prob. Also don't have a whole mess of programs installed just games and a tnt2 overclocking program.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot Windows 2000 Pro 2195 / Windows Whistler Pro 2250 / Windows Millennium Final

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs PC133 Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive