Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Which linux version is better???

i was wondering which linux version is best for noobies...

i want to set up a internet connection and having problems with mandrake 9.1.....

also... are linux typed documents compatible to be viewed and/or edited and printed in windows??

Well.. I'd say Mandrake is one of the easiest distros around..

BTW, what kind of internet connection do you have?

Quote:
are linux typed documents compatible to be viewed and/or edited and printed in windows??

OpenOffice.org can export MS Office documents, plus it can create PDF's..

If you were talking about plain-text files, then there're some useful utilities, eg. unix2dos, that you could use to convert UNIX file format to DOS.

I really like Suse 9.0 professional, you just need to know how to sastisfy its dependencies when installing-everything is included, just put the puzzle together correctly and you'll probably be happy with the results.

Too bad you can't download this one, it takes up 2 dvd disks, and in the linux world that means around a 15~20 gigabyte install if you go all out, big huh!

I've used Mdk 9, 9.1, 9.2 and Red Hat 7,8 and 9. Of these, I think for a first distro, RH 9 with apt-get rpm is the best way to go. One of the major reason's new users get upset with Linux is trying to solve dependancy problems. It almost made me give up! apt-get-rpm will download and install your packages for you and solve all the dependancy problems in the process.

Admiral LSD, I'm starting to get the idea you don't like RPM based distros! wink

It all depends don't you think? You obviously have had an unsatisfactory experience with RPM based distros. I, on the other hand had a very unsatisfactory experience with Slackware, and did everything just short of slashing my wrist trying to configure, make and install packages without dependency problems running out of my ears.

I've never tried Gentoo, though I hope to try it on my "experimental box" soon. I understand the compiling process takes a while, but in the end it is easier than Slack, and package management is uncomplicated. I'll be calling on you for advice when I begin the experiment! smile

I've compiled my share of tarballs, and have been in the depths of RPM "dependency hell" while running Mdk. I probably would not have switched to RH 9, had it not been for apt-get. Have you ever used it? It makes installing and uninstalling packages effortless, giving one more time to do other things. I love Red Hat 9 and find it a very capable, dependable and easy to use distro. I certainly think it would be a far easier first distro than Slackware, but, hey we can disagree can't we. So what's your take on Debian? smile

hey why don't u try Knoppix 3.2 linux ... the live CD version. u can run the OS from the CD without having to install anything on the disk. this way u'll get a good taste and idea of wht linux is all abt and then when u are comfortable with the platform u can move on to another distro like RH9 ,Suse 9 or MDK9, i personally reccocmend 1.> RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.> Suse 9 Pro 3.>Slackware 9.0 . u will find some of the distros on www.linuxiso.com . best of luck 8)