Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

WinME survey: PLEASE READ

Ok I am wondering what types of experiences you guys are having, and also what chipsets are working best with WinME. Is BX still the top dog? Or has VIA gotten better? Please let us know here. Thx

Ummmmm,

Call me Mr. Picky, but isn't this forum for aplications and their use under WinNT & Win2000 and not for some revised revision of a 1995 OS?

------------------

PIII 650 Coppermine, ABit BE6-II, 384MB PC100 RAM (Samsung), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA66 22GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Well I know of no WinME forum anywhere and I have seen WinME discussed on this forum before, so it is fair game I believe.

I think your request was reasonable. Many NT(w2k) users are using a dual boot system so the question pr-man asks is relevant.

I'd say via is still miles from being anywhere close to king. I owned a gigabyte GA-6VX7 mobo that used the apollo pro chipset (socket 370) and had zillions of probs. Random reboots, complete freezes (every 3 hours or so) games freezing, etc.. Tried all the via 4-1 drivers. Useless. Bios upgrades, drivers.. nothing would work. In the end, went back to BX. Not one hardware crash. VIA chipsets remain dodgy to say the least.

win ME is great! fast, stable, reliable, compatible. (and i am still running build 2491 might i add)

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Dual Boot Windows 2000 Pro / Windows ME Beta 3

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs PC133 Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

My experience with winME is rather strange, anyway I've managed it and now I'm satisfied....

Only problems where:

-Drivespace 3 doesn't support hard drives anymore;had to reinstall 98, copy all compressed data on an uncompressed drive and reinstall WinME.

-Office 2000 Pro first CD gives an error during the second part of install.Installing second CD (Publisher 2000) makes everything allright.

SOYO 6VBA dual boot Win2k pro and Willenium.

A few games refuse to work right on ME.

Work better in Win2k.

It's not a problem with the chipset VIA.

It's the game who dares to be called OS WinME.

It's fast as heck.