Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
4T2

Huge problem, System all screwed up.

Win 2000 pro (from a clean install)

ie 5.1 (high encryption)

128MB ram

Ok here is the deal, IE5 will not open a new browser when you right click. Everything worked fine for about a month then all this started to happen. This is how I first noticed this problem. After further inspection I realized that any java/activeX didn't seem to work. I remember having this same problem in 9x a few times. I could fix it in 9x by simply reinstalling ie. I have tried installing the new beta (ie 5.5) to no avail. I have also tried reinstallin my virtual machine with no positive results. I was hoping that someone has had this problem and has solved it. So far I haven't been able to find an ie 5.1 that would install on my machine. All of the ver. I dl tell me i have a more recent version already installed.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Kelly

"If your not part of the solution you are part of the problem."

Oh ya I forgot to ask this too.

how can I make a recovry disk in win2k?

rdisk doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Kelly

"If your not part of the solution you are part of the problem."

well i cant help you for the first part of your prog, there doesnt seem to be any separate version of ie5 for win2k available, except the 5.5 beta.

for the second part of your question: its in backup now (programs > accessories > system tools > backup)

regards.

Flitz

I had the same problem with Netscape 4.7 !!

Try to see if there is a session of IE running (task manager), and if there is, kill it. Then try running IE again, it should work, it did for me.

I wiped out 98 once cos i had self-spawning sessions of IE clogging up my RAM frown There is no way to uninstall IE, remember!!!

no there aren't any ie's running.

and it isn't contained to ie either.

any activex type stuff in the system won't work either.

ex. network neiborhood-> show entire network = script error would you like to continue running scripts on this page?

this is really annoying me.

Have you checked the installed ActiveX objects? Go to Tools:Internet Options and click on Settings, then View Objects then change the view to Details (if it isn't already set there). Check under the Status heading to see if any ActiveX controls are corrupted. If so, delete them.

Hope that helps.

Sorry Kelly, I can't offer any help. I can say I experienced the same exact problem and have to assume it's a flaw in ie5.5

Many other things happened, like the first browser window I would open would just freeze on a blank screen, double clicking on IE again opened up another sucessful browser window. I reinstalled windows 2000. You may have to do the same.