Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dapper Dan

WEP encryption key at start up

I'm using an Orinoco Gold card with 128 bit encryption with a Linksys Wireless-G router. Everything including WEP works well, but I have to manually activate with the encryption key after every boot for the internet to work. I've edited /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts, and put the corrosponding 26 digit key under both the Orinoco section and at the end of the file in the default section, but still have to do,

iwconfig eth1 key abcd-1234-efgh-5678....

every time to get everything working.

What do I need to do to have the encryption key activated automatically so I don't have to keep doing it manually every time?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dapper Dan, you can put that in a Bash script and have it run when KDE or X starts up. I was going to do that but I frequently switch between a work and office network so I can't. If you don't want to modify any scripts and want to do it manually then when KDE first starts up you can just open up a command prompt real quick and type "!iwc" and it should enter that long line for you. I have a very similar setup to what you explained so any questions and I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks, Steve. Actually I had someone over at Morphix fill me in on a utility I didn't know about called wlcardconfig. After running it, The wep encryption key becomes permanent until it's changed. We now regularly boot up and down and the key stays put!

Do you know about sniffers? I tried Kermit but was very confused about how to get it working. Ultimately it would be nice to have a sniffer with a nice easy to use front end, for finding and listing frequencies in Hotels etc. Thanks again! smile

snipher is a nice sniffer, not at my house atm, so don't have webpage, not sure if there is a linux version of it, if not, i know download.com if you type in packet watcher has a few nice sniffers.

Daum