Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bootykika

How do I delete a OS partition from the Dual Boot?

I was trying to re-install a copy of Win2K 2195 and I accedently typed in d:\WINNT instead of c:\WINNT. Now there's two boot-up options when I startup. How do I get rid of one of them? Please Help.

If you just want to get rid of one of the options (the old one I presume) then you can edit the boot.ini on c:\. If you are currently booting by default into the OS (fresh install vs. old install) that you want to keep, you can edit the boot.ini to reflect this.

First, back it up. It's a hidden system file with read-only attributes. Assuming that you are already cool with that, here is a sample to work with:

[boot loader]

timeout=10

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

I think this is what yours may look like. One HD in question using 2 partitions. The "default" entry is the one that may be the most current install, and is the one that if you let Win2K bootup w/o intervention, it will go into on its own. Entries in this file are what show up in the boot menu. If you were to remove the entry that IS NOT the one listed in the menu, then not only will you no longer be given the option to boot into your old install, you shouldn't even be shown the menu anymore (with only one entry, Win2K should just skip the menu as there is no need and go straight to default). If you have any questions, ask before you attempt this because it can be annoying trying to fix it if it's done wrong. One other way you can do this is make a test floppy that has been formatted in Win2K and has the following:

boot.ini

ntldr

ntdetect.com

You can test edit the boot.ini on the floppy and then try to boot with it. If it does everything you want, then you copy the boot.ini to the HD (or just edit it in the same manner). That way, if you hose the boot.ini on the floppy, you wont hose the system.

smile

------------------

Regards,

clutch