Compatible Support Forums
linux_email2000

Warcraft III

Hello All,

Have any of you actually used warcraft III on WineX? Does the game run more smoothly than in windows? I saw that therew as info about it in the compatibility list but there was not a great deal of info.

thanks,

John

My install went smoothly and it plays just as well as i would expect on any windows installation. I haven't installed it on a windows partition though so I couldn't give a good comparison. I will say it's worth installing in winex.

Keep up the good work Transgaming!!!!!

you can download from the CVS tree for free, but in order to download precompiled binaries you need to pay a $5 a month subscription.

mount the cd, then as your normal user type:

winex /mnt/cdrom(or wherever your cdrom is mounted)/install.exe

follow the prompts just like you would for any normal windows install. find yourself a no-cd patch and then to run the game, just in case it dindn't create menu items or shortcuts to the desktop all you need to do is type in: winex (whatever the path to the executable is).

usually /home/user/Transgaming Drive/Program Files/............

What's your hardware? You have to realize that you are adding another layer between your application and the OS. Hence, things that are native to Linux will run faster, while running through this filtering/translation layer will take a bit more overhead.

Ohhhhh......

Well, what diff would that be? What are you using (RPM/RPM-SRC, tarball) to install them with? How far have you gotten? What errors?

well that explains alot....The drivers provided by Redhat don't do 3D very well. I would look at the post in the General Linux forum called xserver I believe. I posted a pretty basic walkthru on how to install the nvidia drivers for Redhat 8.0

it starts here.... http://www.linuxcompatible.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=119

and finishes up in this topic... http://www.linuxcompatible.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=128

Follow punk's advice, and it should go smoothly. However, if you need more help with it, please post whatever errors you are getting.

ok thanks a lot. i really appreciate that.

i see that u installed nvidia drivers using compile of source code.

i used the src rpm of nividia_kernel..src.rpm and had these following errors:

i rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel....3123.src.rpm

and here's the message

warning: user buildmeister does not exist -- using root

warning: group buildmeister does not exist -- using root

warning: user buildmeister does not exist -- using root

warning: group buildmeister does not exist -- using root

segmentation fault

what is that??? i am currently logged as root already

God Bless and many thanks

Well, I haven't seen those errors, and I don't use RPMs unless there is absolutely nothing else available (and even then I just convert them to .deb packages with Alien for Debian). So, I would *strongly* recommend that you give punk's first link a shot, which would either work or at least give us a better error to work with. Also, make sure that you have the proper kernel headers installed for your distro and kernel level (or the full blown kernel source if you roll your own) and either have it in /usr/src/linux or have the directory for the headers/source (usually /usr/source/kernel-headers-<version>/) symlinked as /usr/src/linux.

Redhat did some funky things with 8.0, one of them being the building rpm's from source. If I remember correctly they changed the wording of the command, also you might just have to create a group called buildmeister and have root join that group.

Even still you have to go in and edit the XF86Config file manually so using the rpm's doesn't really save you any steps anyway, so there is no real advantage to using the rpm's over building from tarball.

hehe.

i would to thank you guys for helping me with the video. i can now play the game but it says that the sound driver is busy? what should i do.

also, how can i maximize the window?

well, as far as the video goes, change the resolution of the game to match your default resolution and color depth. Or add a few lines to your XF86Config to add a few other resolutions. Here is a sample of how my Display section reads......

DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"

Depth 8

Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x400"

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 16

Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 24

Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

EndSubsection

EndSection

The first resolution listed on the list is the default. To switch between resolutions just hit Ctrl-Alt-(either the + or - key depending on which way you want to change the resolution)

For the sound....what kind of sound card do you have?????

sorry, I'm not much help with the sound driver....You might try posting something to the transgaming site to see if anyone has run across that problem. Other than that I don't know.