Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
N29

choosing setup drive for W98 on W2k sys

How do I specify what drive to instal win98 on in a Win2K sys. When I try to instal I get a error that states that I have a NTFS drive and I need to make a MS-DOS boot partition to instal. Is there any way around this?

Thanks!

Its not a question of now choosing your Partition to install Win98. Win98 needs to have a System Partition in FAT or FAT32 to place some files.

One being command.com. Without this file in the system drive, Win98 won't install, or boot or anything.

You need to convert your system drive to FAT32 or FAT. Now as you have installed W2K on your system drive, using NTFS, this will not be easy.

The File Format Convert tool in W2K can only convert to NTFS from FAT or FAT32 and not the other way around.

I've heard that Partition Magic 5 works in W2K, so if you can get a copy of this, use this (if it works) to convert your system drive to FAT32.

Failing this, you will have to use FDISK to format the whole system partition to FAT, then install Win98, then install W2K to another partition.

Make sure you format it bootable..!!!

Sorry mate.. Without the command.com file on your system drive, your stuffed..!!!