Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JGN

Copy Win2000 Intsallation to larger Hard Drive?

Hello, I've upgraded my Windows 98 instalation with my recent purchase of Windows 2000. After everything was all installed and working great I needed a larger Hard Drive than my 4.3gig , so I purchased a Seagate 10gig. I partitioned the drive with two 5 gig partitions. I copied my existing instalation to the new drive and now Windows 2000 won't boot? I get pagefile.sys filesive error and message about right clicking on My Computer to set the pagefile size and then I hit ok and then there is no desktop?

I've tried the the re-install and repair options, but only the full install will boot, but not with all my programs installed.

Is it possible to clone Windows 2000?

What Software is the best to clone windows 2000?

I used Segates DiscWizard - Filecopy ....

????

Geesh..I don't know if I should even respond to this post...it is really irritating me!

Let me get this straight.

1. You upgraded 98 to 2000. (BIG NO NO)

2. You then copied 2000 from your old hard drive to your new hard drive. (real big no no).

If you were gonna do that you should have first copied 98 to your new hard drive and THEN upgraded to 2000. Almost any computer expert in the world though is not gonna have any respect for you unless you do a CLEAN installtion of 2000.

------------------

C:\Dos

C:\Dos\Run

\Run\Dos\Run

Okay, even if I did a clean install to a new hardrive, is it still possible to clone Windows 2000 to a larger hardrive? and if so, what software to use?

Norton Ghost 6 - works great. The problem with your setup was, I think, moving from a one partition setup to a two partition setup - did you try partitioning the full 10 gigs as fat32 (your 4 gig is partitioned with fat32 isn't it?) and just copying the contents of one drive to another? You might be able to find a trial version of Ghost 6 to create an image of the 4 gig drive and transfer it to the 10 gig.

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

PIII 450@504

Soltek SL67B Mobo with 128 mb pc100

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail